[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4752: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4754: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4755: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4756: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
So....Where does it leave me? Deconverting? : Religion / Theology • SCEPCOP Forum

View Active Topics          View Your Posts          Latest 100 Topics          Switch to Mobile

So....Where does it leave me? Deconverting?

Discussions Religion and Theology, Scriptures, Bible Debate, etc.

So....Where does it leave me? Deconverting?

Postby Courtney09 » 08 Aug 2012, 21:58

I grew up baptist. I haven't gone to church every Sunday of my life, but I have gone a lot. I struggled with my faith for years, asking myself all the questions on this site, and I almost abandoned my faith a few times. But I always ended up shelving the questions for fear of everlasting hell. My theory was, I'd rather believe and be right, than not believe and be wrong. Then, Jehovah's witnesses came to my door and they almost had me convinced they had it right. Of course my church had me believing it was god's way of telling me to read my bible. So for awhile I immersed myself in my bible. Then the questions came back.

Recently I told my sister that if I knew more about science I would probably be an Atheist. Of course, that led me to google. I found this site, among many others, and after reading every article in the "Debunking Christian" section of this site, I'm not sure where it leaves me. I'm not ready to call myself an Atheist, I think I still believe there is a god, I'm just not sure I believe in the bible version. Am I then, Agnostic? I still have to look that up, but it's my general understanding that they believe there is a deity, but don't commit to one or the other version? Where do I go from here in terms of theology? What did/would you do? What about my kids? If I turn away from organized religion, I can't very well send them to Sunday school, right?
Courtney09

Re: So....Where does it leave me? Deconverting?

Postby NinjaPuppy » 09 Aug 2012, 01:07

NinjaPuppy

Postby Twain Shakespeare » 10 Aug 2012, 04:54

Why commit yourself to "final answers" in spirituality when the best evidence is no one knows? "Atheist", "Theist" "agnostic" are terms with many meanings, and not all apply to every world view. Evenin the West,many Jews have no convictions concerning the reality of God, but send their kids to synagogues etc for the cultural values. For those purposes, I suggest you try Unitarians. Some of the worst experiences of my childhood came thru being sent to a Fundy Sunday school for reasons having more to do with Dad's career than his convictions. Personally, I call myseslf an agnostic, which leaves me free to examine all theories, and take what is useful from any. Welcome to the world of the individual.
"What's so Funny about Peace, Love, and Understanding?"
Twain Shakespeare

Postby ProfWag » 10 Aug 2012, 21:21

ProfWag

Postby Courtney09 » 10 Aug 2012, 22:43

Thanks for all of the responses :) I don't necessarily want to put a label on it, I just need to sort of figure out search terms in my exploration of theology. I can identify some with Unitarian, but I'm confused about their view on Jesus....He was a prophet, but not a man-god? I don't understand how a person can say they follow the teachings of Jesus, but disregard things he said...I have done a lot of research over the past few days, and have been drawing the conclusion that Jesus was a false prophet. And then I went and read about why the Jewish people don't believe in Jesus, and it makes perfect sense.

So at this point, I guess I am either a Theist, or Agnostic, and I'm going to look into evolution (because I apparently didn't pay attention in grade school), and go from there. I know it's a decision I don't have to make in a day, but it's all very fascinating to me. Leaving Christianity has given me a sense of freedom. Now I am soaking up everything I can get my hands on. :)
Courtney09

Postby NinjaPuppy » 11 Aug 2012, 02:18

NinjaPuppy

Postby ProfWag » 11 Aug 2012, 04:42

ProfWag

Postby Twain Shakespeare » 11 Aug 2012, 06:09

"What's so Funny about Peace, Love, and Understanding?"
Twain Shakespeare

Postby Courtney09 » 11 Aug 2012, 07:33

Thanks again :) The name Craig Browning sounds familiar, but I think I may just be confusing it with an article I read recently. I think I will have to just prepare myself for those people who tell me I am wrong. :) I don't like to be caught off guard having to defend my position in something.

I have a (stupid?) question.....If I believe in spirits, does that mean I automatically believe there is an afterlife...by default?
Courtney09

Postby NinjaPuppy » 11 Aug 2012, 22:34

NinjaPuppy

Postby Courtney09 » 12 Aug 2012, 01:17

See, I haven't read too much into the paranormal part of things, but I always wondered if death was sort of like when you go to sleep, except you don't dream, and you don't wake up. I was reading somewhere where somebody said that you can't have any consciousness because that's related directly to the brain, or something to that effect. I don't believe that we all go somewhere where we live happily ever after with our relatives, but our energy has to hang around, right?
Courtney09

Postby really? » 12 Aug 2012, 06:23

really?

Return to Religion / Theology