View Active Topics          Latest 100 Topics          View Your Posts          Switch to Mobile

If The Paranormal Is Evil, Then God Is Evil.

Discussions Religion and Theology, Scriptures, Bible Debate, etc.

If The Paranormal Is Evil, Then God Is Evil.

Postby PsiSearch » 20 Dec 2010, 20:34

Well, while I was a Christian, I was listening to to my pastor talk about how God is of the paranormal and how he is hidden and not known about. So, I rarely check any Christian websites, but a few weeks ago I checked a local Christian website saying "Satan's Lies: The Paranormal & Occult". The post was taken down and due to the bad credibility and such. And, it was saying how Satan is the LEADER of the paranormal and how he will deceive people with it. So, I decided to reply; how the leader was just so faith-lacking and such as jerk. He claimed that rock music (all secular music) and that certain TV shows are paranormal and how ghosts and UFO's are (no lies) and all of his whacked out claims. Now, I'm an Atheist; as such, I believe in the paranormal and such.

So, skeptically speaking; God is paranormal, although I refuse to accept any Deity at all. Now, the paranormal is evil? What does the Bible describe to use about God and his 'love'? But you, O Lord, are a compassionate and gracious God, slow to anger, abounding in love and faithfulness (Psalm 86:15).
Give thanks to the God of heaven. His love endures forever (Psalm 136:26).

Now, I thought Satan was evil?

I am all about bashing on Christianity. It may sound harsh, but the Christians today are way different from the Old Testament Christians. Wait, wasn't Jesus the one who refuted the Old Testament? They claim to be perfect and they are rather saying how God is perfect and rather saying how they are perfect Christians.

Thanks.
PsiSearch

Re: If The Paranormal Is Evil, Then God Is Evil.

Postby Craig Browning » 21 Dec 2010, 02:56

I am all about bashing on Christianity.

Oh Goody, a born again "Atheist" that is bitter towards religion :twisted:

First things first... are you an atheist because you've studied things or because it's trendy?
OR, did Jesus piss on your tennis shoe?

Base on this line alone (but the Christians today are way different from the Old Testament Christians.) let alone the following line (wasn't Jesus the one who refuted the Old Testament?) I'm pretty confident that you really aren't all that versed in the bible, let alone theology and thus, I'd have to conclude that you haven't done your homework and thus, either JC did piss on your shoes by not "answering" a particular prayer or two, OR, you're just jumping onto the atheist bandwagon because it's the current thing to do and be... and besides, you're made as hell at the "Christian Lie"

But let me finish with your comments before I continue... They claim to be perfect and they are rather saying how God is perfect and rather saying how they are perfect Christians.

Ok... the Old Testament don't have ANY Christians in that it is the JEWISH Bible written and generally compiled well prior to JC's inception. So the people of the Old Testament that were "god's chosen" were the Hebrews who worshiped him via blood sacrifice and burnt offerings and like today's christian's, being tolerant of prophets who were guilty of extra-marital affairs, child molestation, incest and a handful of other "sins" we "non-prophets (of that god at least) must avoid.

Jesus did not condemn the teachings of the Old Testaments or Prophets but according to the New Testament record, came to fulfill and restore the ways of the Prophets. What he condemned were those priests that had turned the temple into their own playground, using it form profit vs. prophet. This included social-political advantages and of course, manipulating the scriptures such as lawyers manipulate the law and actual ethics. Jesus even taught against professionalism within the clergy and the idea of public displays of worship, teaching his followers to go within as if they were in a closet, in order to find God and God's counsel.... it was very much a Buddhist idea.

Today's Christians do not claim to be "Perfect" just superior. They think they possess some kind of cosmic credit card that allows them to be assholes and insist that everyone else on the planet live by the very morals & ethics they themselves refuse to live by. If we look at the biblical message chances are high that you would not see Jesus, Paul or any of the others supporting these attitudes... and before you go there, much of the bigoted views found in Paul's writings have more or less been proven forgeries -- additions inserted into the letters so as to support the social-political agenda of the "church" at a particular period of time. Problem is, there are known writings of Paul's (in the bible) that contradict such views; especially when it comes to the influence of women in the church and latter ideas that they (and children) were just possessions (akin to livestock) of the male patriarch in each family group... a concept that prevailed well into the 1960s and can still be seen in parts of the "less modern" world (in the U.S. especially).

Yes, there is a reason to despise and distrust the institutions of religion, but you don't seem to know those reasons, which is why I've labeled you as the typical angry youth vying for attention by lashing out at things. Which makes me wonder what it was that got you so pissed? Why do you think JC peed on your shoes and rained on your parade? Why do you think you're an Atheist?

Oh... before you say that it's because you no longer believe in God, I'll suggest you ask yourself why you are into "Christian Bashing" first. I believe that it's not "God" you hate or disbelieve in but rather, the one that you have singled out as being the "source" of your feelings vs. seeing who and what the real situation is... the fact that you've gotten sick & tired of being preached at and taunted by members of the Christian movement. I could be wrong, it might be the classic of unanswered prayer or, to be more precise, a prayer that wasn't answered the way you wanted it to be and within the time frame you insisted on. These are the two most common factors, the first of which usually proves temporary with the born-again Atheist ultimately returning to the bosom of the church by their latter 30's if not before. The other... well, most carry that axe with them to their grave, frequently pushing others away from them in the process, as the result of their bitterness. That's something you might want to circumvent by getting some counseling...just a suggestion :?
Craig Browning

Postby Arouet » 21 Dec 2010, 03:14

When did atheism become trendy?

By the way, someone who hates God is not an atheist.
Arouet

Postby PsiSearch » 21 Dec 2010, 06:56

Arouet wrote:When did atheism become trendy?

Well, I don't HATE God nor any God. I just don't agree or like and feel their beliefs.
PsiSearch

Postby Arouet » 21 Dec 2010, 09:03

PsiSearch wrote:
Arouet wrote:When did atheism become trendy?

Well, I don't HATE God nor any God. I just don't agree or like and feel their beliefs.

You were saying there are atheists who are atheist because they hate God. One can't hate God and be an atheist - if one hates God,then one therefore believes in God. By definition - not an atheist.

Now, as an atheist I can dislike the God of the Bible in a similar way that I might dislike Sauron, or Voldemort, or any other fictional character.
Arouet

Postby derrida » 22 Dec 2010, 04:00

atheism is trendy????

whaaaaaaaaaaaaaat??...
derrida

Postby Craig Browning » 22 Dec 2010, 08:29

derrida wrote:atheism is trendy????

whaaaaaaaaaaaaaat??...

Yes, believe it or not Atheism/Agnosticism have become an "in thing" amongst young people and most especially those that are "nurtured" in course of being "intelligent"... somewhere along the road being "Intelligent" has become equated to having to not believe in "God" or any sort of deity/divinity. The general growth of atheism in the U.S. and most poignantly the UK since the early 1980s is quite exceptional, though there has been a peculiar sort of "resurgence" when it comes to the more fundamental (militant) modes of Christianity (especially in the U.S.). The popularity of the Internet and the ease by which anyone can more or less find anything has added to the expansion of this social evolution, as some have called it. Then again, we are seeing more and more militant attitudes in the guise of rationalism, which fuels the age-old fire between Science (the scientific thinking) and Religion (orthodoxy).

But what is known is that an uncannily high level of teen/young adults (aged 14-24) reveal either a traditionally agnostic (I don't believe in the Christian god but I believe in a higher "?") view when it comes to spirituality or, a totally atheistic perspective that has a very strange "off-set" if you would; where the brainiac kids fit the common niche there is a huge faction of young people that simply don't believe in anything... they have a rather "lost faith" way of looking at life as a whole, not just religion (which they view as a man-made joke... a huge lie; but not for what most over 40 types are used to seeing).

There's been mention of this in Psychology Today as well as Smithsonian Magazines.
Craig Browning

Return to Religion / Theology