[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 379: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4752: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4754: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4755: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4756: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
New Shroud of Turin Special on History Channel : Religion / Theology • SCEPCOP Forum

View Active Topics          View Your Posts          Latest 100 Topics          Switch to Mobile

New Shroud of Turin Special on History Channel

Discussions Religion and Theology, Scriptures, Bible Debate, etc.

New Shroud of Turin Special on History Channel

Postby Scepcop » 04 Apr 2010, 21:00

Happy Easter Everyone!

See it here:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A8iPKVOQ ... re=related

Description:

What did Jesus look like? Artists, scholars and millions of Christians around the world have been pondering the question for centuries. And on Tuesday, March 30, at 9/8c, HISTORY viewers may get closer to an answer than ever before, thanks to a special two-hour event.

The Real Face of Jesus? follows a team of graphic experts as they use cutting-edge 3D software to bring a holy relic known as the Shroud of Turin to life. Many believe Jesus Christ was buried in this ancient linen cloth, which bears traces of blood and the faint, ghostly image of a man. With the help of modern technology, can HISTORY finally unlock the secrets of one of the worlds most scrutinized and controversial artifacts?

To attempt this feat, HISTORY turned to computer graphics artist Ray Downing of Studio Macbeth, who used photographs and digital animation to reconstruct Abraham Lincoln in 2009. As Ray and his team grapple with the task, we delve into the Shroud of Turins long history, along with the many perplexing questions that centuries of scientific research have failed to settle. How, for instance, did the figures imprint appear on the cloth? And how can we extract 3D information from a two-dimensional piece of linen?

In The Real Face of Jesus?, HISTORY unveils the fruit of many months of labor, made possible by sophisticated computer tools in very capable hands: an accurate depiction of the man many believe to be Jesus Christ. For the devout and curious alike, this is a compelling story of transformation—a fascinating journey from the realm of creativity and imagination into the domain of science and technology.
“Devotion to the truth is the hallmark of morality; there is no greater, nobler, more heroic form of devotion than the act of a man who assumes the responsibility of thinking.” - Ayn Rand, Atlas Shrugged
Scepcop
Site Admin

Re: New Shroud of Turin Special on History Channel

Postby Nostradamus » 05 Apr 2010, 04:50

I posted some info on the Shroud of Turin earlier in the following thread:

It's interesting that this was so hard to reproduce. There are other instances that I understand were also hard to reproduce such as the ancient ability to make small balls of gold.

I don't get TV at my place so good to know I can watch it online. Thanks Scepcop.
Scimitars were not available - beware January 19, 2038 is upon us.
Nostradamus

Postby Craig Browning » 06 Apr 2010, 02:45

Are you sure this is "new"?

I remember a study from at least a decade back in which they did the whole 3-D face of Jesus based on the shroud impressions.

Interestingly, there is a Knight's Templar tale tide to the shroud that I've always found to have more credence than the Catholic contrivance everyone buys into.

According to legend Jacques de Molay (the 23rd and last Grand Master of the Knights Templar (c. 1240/1250 – March 1314 c.e.)was deliberately tortured via "The Stations of the Cross". That is to say that the saintly and pure priests that brutalized him and the other Templars the church betrayed, scourged him, set a crown of thorns on him and ultimately crucified him (being certain to keep him alive during all of this) and even wrapped him in linen, setting him into a tomb for 3 days so as to show him the torments known to Christ who he had betrays... or so the church claimed (what they wouldn't do for a few gold coins)... ultimately de Molay was roasted over a spit on the island center the Seine just in eye shot of Notre Dame (history states that King Philip the fair ordered him to be "burnt at the stake" but his manner of execution in this case, was a slow roasting technique that lasted for upwards of 3 days in some cases... but hey, you've got to love those merciful Christians :? )

Anywho... the lore around all of this brings us to that shroud used around de Molay... how the timing of his execution fits so snugly with both, the time of the Turin shroud's tangible appearance on the scene as well as the majority of the dating tests done to the cloth... in other words, the perspiration and blood stains might very well be that of Jacques de Molay... but that's just conspiracy radical thinking :roll:
Craig Browning

Postby ProfWag » 06 Apr 2010, 03:51

ProfWag

Postby ProfWag » 06 Apr 2010, 03:59

Hmmmm. If this picture is accurate, it appears that if Jacque De Molay is the person in the cloth, the cloth would have to be about 9 feet wide...

http://www.templaricavalieri.it/images/ ... molay9.gif
ProfWag

Postby Craig Browning » 06 Apr 2010, 22:19

Craig Browning

Postby NinjaPuppy » 07 Apr 2010, 06:47

NinjaPuppy

Postby NucleicAcid » 08 Apr 2010, 00:26

Haha...that picture coupled with the term "big man" reminded me suddenly of the opera commercial for JG Wentworth.

Sorry...UTTER derailment.

I don't really bother with anything Christian related anymore. It's just like...they're going to continue to do whatever the hell they want. And any information off of the history channel is suspect.

I think it would be cool if Jesus existed and did some of the miracles talked about, even if they were only elaborate shows.
Hey, you there. Yes, you.

If what I say sounds like the teacher from Charlie Brown (Wah wahh woohh wuh waah), then you should try college. It's fun, and only costs you your soul and several tens of thousands of dollars. :)

“I agree that by the standards of any other area of science that remote viewing is proven“ - Richard Wiseman

Let's make directional hypotheses, test them repeatedly, replicate experiments, and publish results! Yay, science!
NucleicAcid

Postby NinjaPuppy » 09 Apr 2010, 18:02

I agree. Lately their programming has been rather one sided and mostly speculation. If I want to see that, I'll watch Geraldo Rivera.
NinjaPuppy

Postby NetMarissa » 21 Jul 2011, 22:10

I know, I know. I'm posting in an older thread. Get out the whips, chains and torches! XD! LOL.

No seriously, I wanted to inquire about this history channel special. I honestly hadn't heard about it until now. Does anyone know where I'd be able to catch it? It appears the link provided isn't working. Very odd if you ask me. I'm doing a research paper for my religious studies class and thought that this might be a good reference. If anyone can help me out, it would be super appreciated! By the way, is anyone perhaps thinking of studying ? I'm looking for future research paper topics. Just curious! Thanks, everyone! =)
Last edited by NetMarissa on 24 Jul 2011, 06:42, edited 1 time in total.
NetMarissa

Postby Craig Browning » 21 Jul 2011, 23:34

Craig Browning

Postby NinjaPuppy » 22 Jul 2011, 01:10

No upcoming showings at the History Channel: http://www.history.com/shows/the-real-f ... s/episodes
NinjaPuppy

Postby NinjaPuppy » 22 Jul 2011, 01:19

Here ya go:
You will find the other 5 episodes on this youtube page.
NinjaPuppy

Postby ProfWag » 22 Jul 2011, 01:45

ProfWag

Postby Craig Browning » 23 Jul 2011, 01:37

Craig Browning

Next

Return to Religion / Theology