View Active Topics          Latest 100 Topics          View Your Posts          Switch to Mobile

How many exorcisms can you do in a day?

Discussions Religion and Theology, Scriptures, Bible Debate, etc.

How many exorcisms can you do in a day?

Postby Nostradamus » 13 Mar 2010, 13:30

From http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/comment/columnists/giles_coren/article7060305.ece?openComment=true
Four exorcisms a day. Yes, it’s a devil of a job

But a chief exorcist? Such individuals simply do not exist outside every third episode of Scooby-Doo — and even then he’s just a lonely old bloke who dresses up in a sheet at night to keep himself in the day job, running backwards and forwards with his arms in front of him, going “Woooo!” until finally he trips over a bucket of water and falls in a heap muttering, “pesky kids”.

That said, Father Amorth makes a strong case for his full-time employ by stating that he has dealt with 70,000 cases of demonic possession in his career. Now, if he started in the job at, say, 25, then that’s 1,166 cases a year (actually it’s 1,166.66 recurring — which are damned spooky digits in his line of work), or nearly four a day (not counting Sundays, when you have to assume the Vatican’s chief exorcist does not work).

I think he’s a bit dodge, this Amorth. He is on record, for example, as having proclaimed that both Adolf Hitler and Joseph Stalin were possessed by the devil. Now, these are hardly the boldest choices of candidate for celebrity Devil-possession.
Scimitars were not available - beware January 19, 2038 is upon us.
Nostradamus

Re: How many exorcisms can you do in a day?

Postby Nostradamus » 16 Mar 2010, 05:45

From http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/news/world/europe/article7060354.ece

Father Amorth, aged nearly 85, is honorary president of the International Association of Exorcists.

His claim to have carried out 70,000 exorcisms seems incredible. “But I was talking about the number of exorcisms, not the number of people exorcised. You often have to exorcise someone dozens, even hundreds, of times, and an exorcism ritual can take anything from a few minutes to several hours.”

There are more women than men among the possessed, “but we don’t know why. There are various explanations: Satan taking revenge on the Virgin Mary, or using women as a means of reaching men. None of them is convincing.”

In many cases, he says, they vomit objects such as nails or glass. Father Amorth has a collection weighing two kilograms. “You get used to being vomited over. I once performed an exorcism on a woman who managed to hit me in the face with a stream of vomit from the other side of the room — physically impossible.”

He does not believe in ghosts, which are “an invention of the human mind”.

Father Amorth has no designated successor, and complains that even now the Church hierarchy does not take exorcism — or the Devil — seriously enough. But “the Lord has made use of me” and his example has inspired many other priests — as did the 1973 film The Exorcist, which although “exaggerated” was “substantially true”.

At his age does he still have the stomach for the battle with Satan? “Oh yes. I have work to do.”

What is amazing here is that he actually claims physical evidence from the vomited material.
Nostradamus

Postby Nostradamus » 16 Mar 2010, 05:46

From http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/news/world/europe/article7060326.ece
How to perform an exorcism on those afflicted by ‘demonic possession’

If you read this article it gives you the general plan for the ritual.

Mother Teresa apparently had the ritual performed on her late in her life, when Henry D’Souza, the Archbishop of Calcutta, feared that her sleeplessness was a sign that she was “under attack by the Evil One”.

Salvador Dalí reportedly had an exorcism performed over him by an Italian friar, Gabriele Maria Berardi, in France in 1947. The surrealist artist created a sculpture of Christ on a cross which he gave to the priest in thanks.

So even eventually saints can be afflicted by demons.
Nostradamus

Postby NinjaPuppy » 16 Mar 2010, 20:36

All of us can be affected by demons. As long as you define 'demons' the same as an addiction or bad thought process and not some Hollywood or Christian bastardization of the word that most people have come to accept.

BTW, Salvador Dali is not a saint, but I suspect that you already know that and it's just the way I read your comment.
NinjaPuppy

Postby Nostradamus » 17 Mar 2010, 03:32

Yes, I know that Dali is an artist and not a saint. I was referring to Mama as they called her when I was in Calcutta.
Nostradamus

Return to Religion / Theology