View Active Topics          Latest 100 Topics          View Your Posts          Switch to Mobile

Greetings from the Dark Side

Introduce yourself here!

Re: Greetings from the Dark Side

Postby Craig Browning » 17 Feb 2010, 00:38

so Craig
is it an act or are you trully gifted?

Firstly, I'm Irish so I'm cursed not gifted :lol:

As to your question, it's both! and too, it depends on the circumstances.

If I am hired to do a gig whether it's a stage act or roaming, I am there as an ENTERTAINER and because of this all bars are held... I'll cheat my butt off and crumble your mind. I likewise offer a big "wink" so as folks at least get the gist that I might be pulling their leg with things.

If however, I'm hired in as a Reader that is exactly what I do, trick free! I rely on the actual system that whichever Oracle I'm working with relies on. I'm not using magic/skeptic based psycho-babble, I'm literally Reading the cards or doing someone's numbers, etc. Sometimes, when it's a group situation, I present such bits in a high energy and somewhat comical manner; a prime example being my Gypsy Tree Readings (which I've been doing since the mid 80s) or Graphology bits, or my newest service the Midday Tea Party -- Tea Leaf Reading Party.

Yes, I do one-on-one Readings as well. Before you jump on that one, I do have background as a counselor and training in grief counseling. Frankly, I believe that all Readers need to get some level of certification within the behavioral health arena. I also believe that authorities need to be a bit more "stiff" when it comes to those calling themselves a Reverend or Priest, etc.

The "Gift" side of things is tough to explain but I will point out that it is the catalyst that started my life's journey into magic, religious studies, etc. in that I was trying to find out why I could do certain things, how I knew about people I'd never met, etc. Bear in mind, these are things I was doing at four and five years of age and to the point that my overly zealous, under-educated hillbilly parents were having prayer circles and "exorcism" like vigils so as to drive the devil out of me. :oops: Kind of ironic given the number of healers, seers, dowsers, etc. in the family but they were a minority -- the skeletons everyone else tried to keep in the proverbial closet... but then I've never done closets all that well :lol:

My conclusion is that I was born with a heightened sense of Intuition. Though I do believe in ghosts and have had some interesting encounters with such, I do not believe I have angels, fairy folk or deceased relatives chatting with me. I also believe that everyone has this kind of thing going for them but we have been taught to suppress it; some of us succeeding in that a bit better than others. But because of the oppression placed upon youngsters who show this kind of ability (rarely in the toddling years but quite prevalent at the on-set of puberty), the person with such "gifts" fails to learn how to work with it; how to control it or turn it on and off, etc. Many of those that were suppressed in their youth end up with various kinds of mental disorders later in life, even self-destructive tendencies simply because they don't understand and too, if they were suppressed via religious stupidity the guilt will eat away at them because they are obviously an instrument of the devil, etc.

As I'm certain I'll repeat dozens of times, I do not believe in Psychic "Powers" in that they are not "powers" but rather, "abilities". Because of some of the things I've seen, done and experienced over the years I cannot fully discount the idea that something "more" exists that our current science has yet to uncover and comprehend. But I'm optimistic in the fact that it will sometime in the not so distant future, as we develop ways of measuring finer and finer energy fields, wave lengths, etc. Even now we are seeing science manipulating the power of the mind as a means by which to control physical action "wirelessly". There are even games on the market now that literally operate in the exact manner that psychics & mystics have taught their students for centuries; reaching a state of calm so as to bring about the desired result... the movement of a ping pong ball or air hockey disc in this case.

So, that's the best I can explain it. :mrgreen:
Craig Browning

Postby NinjaPuppy » 17 Feb 2010, 01:02

THAT IS A MOST EXCELLENT EXPLANATION!!! BRAVO!
NinjaPuppy

Postby ProfWag » 17 Feb 2010, 01:19

Interesting read Craig. Thanks for sharing.
ProfWag

Postby ciscop » 17 Feb 2010, 02:09

thanks craig!!

Tea reading
that´s interesting
i have heard about it, but have never seen anybody doing it
can you elaborate a little?
do you see the future there or the personality of the people?... i am not sure what you read there? i mean.. what can you see?..
is it a special kind of tea that leaves some kind of stuff behind?
is it like the Rorshard Inkblot test? (which i studied since i am a psychologist)
For every person who reads this valuable book there are hundreds of naïve souls who would prefer to have their spines tingled by a sensational but worthless potboiler by some hack journalist of the paranormal. You who now read these sentences join a small but wiser minority. Martin Gaardner (Psychology of the Psychic)
ciscop

Postby Craig Browning » 17 Feb 2010, 04:27

ciscop wrote:thanks craig!!

Tea reading
that´s interesting
i have heard about it, but have never seen anybody doing it
can you elaborate a little?
do you see the future there or the personality of the people?... i am not sure what you read there? i mean.. what can you see?..
is it a special kind of tea that leaves some kind of stuff behind?
is it like the Rorshard Inkblot test? (which i studied since i am a psychologist)

:lol: Funny you should mention the Inblots... you're hauntingly close :lol:

As I've mentioned on the Becoming a Reader thread, I use some material I got from Ron Martin about doing Tea Leaf & Coffee Ground Readings. Basically it's looking at the patterns the leaves or grounds make at the bottom of a cup, were they rest along the wall of the cup, etc. It's quite an interesting novelty that folks some to enjoy BECAUSE it's so rare.
Craig Browning

Postby ciscop » 17 Feb 2010, 04:55

yeah i would very much like that

everybody is doing tarot, palms and numerology
tea leaf reading is cool

is it chinese? where does it comes from?
For every person who reads this valuable book there are hundreds of naïve souls who would prefer to have their spines tingled by a sensational but worthless potboiler by some hack journalist of the paranormal. You who now read these sentences join a small but wiser minority. Martin Gaardner (Psychology of the Psychic)
ciscop

Postby Craig Browning » 18 Feb 2010, 05:29

ciscop wrote:yeah i would very much like that

everybody is doing tarot, palms and numerology
tea leaf reading is cool

is it chinese? where does it comes from?

Most legit sources will suggest the technique came out of Turkey while many give credit (out of association I think) to the Roma (Gypsy) people in particular, but I think it actually ties in as a cultural thing common to the Asia Minor and Indus Valley areas and around areas of the Med that would have been influenced by these elements, such as Egypt & Greece.

The Turks are better known for Reading Coffee Grounds (Turkish Coffee) which was also typical in the Slavic countries to the north like Romania, Transylvania, into the Baltic regions of the former Soviet Union.
Craig Browning

Postby Kevin Kane » 18 Feb 2010, 07:52

I would think that it could be derived from African practices such as the reading of tossed bones, the reading of animal guts, and of blood. But early celtic people had similar practices. The pre-historic world was not as isolated as we assume, and these types of practices often travelled from culture to culture.
Kevin Kane

Postby Craig Browning » 18 Feb 2010, 14:16

Kevin Kane wrote:I would think that it could be derived from African practices such as the reading of tossed bones, the reading of animal guts, and of blood. But early celtic people had similar practices. The pre-historic world was not as isolated as we assume, and these types of practices often travelled from culture to culture.

It may be due to the fact that the first wave of "Celts" were of the Aryan migrations from the northern India regions. There were three waves segregated by several generations... I probably still have those notes here somewhere, but you can trace their migration through both, music and art so I wouldn't be surprised to see how certain "religious" practices would also prove out as being similar bread-crumbs.
Craig Browning

Postby Kevin Kane » 18 Feb 2010, 17:46

Here's my thinking. If it was adapted from Turkish coffee reading .. coffee originated in Ethiopia and Yemen. And african tribes have a history of household divination. I'm not sure India had similar practices or if they were common. For all we know, the practice of tea-reading may have originated in Ireland seperately.
Kevin Kane

Postby Craig Browning » 19 Feb 2010, 00:35

Kevin Kane wrote:Here's my thinking. If it was adapted from Turkish coffee reading .. coffee originated in Ethiopia and Yemen. And african tribes have a history of household divination. I'm not sure India had similar practices or if they were common. For all we know, the practice of tea-reading may have originated in Ireland seperately.

Given the amount of folklore and deliberate misinformation some groups have invented, I'm certain this will prove one of those things that's very difficult to pin down when it comes to originality. Especially given that humanity has always come up with countless ways to discern what "might" happen tomorrow... and even with all our sophisticated divination systems of the present, no one seemed to see the recent turn of economic events or even why my town sees no snow when the prediction is for 8+ inches :lol:
Craig Browning

Postby Kevin Kane » 19 Feb 2010, 01:28

I think the problem is that skeptics tend to look at the tools but not see the person using the tools. How can these things do anything? They're just tea leaves, coffee grounds, or sticks and rocks. It mustn't work.

I did predict the economic downturn and how severe it would be. But how can people predict the economy with just paper and ink?
Kevin Kane

Postby ciscop » 19 Feb 2010, 03:22

Kevin Kane wrote:I think the problem is that skeptics tend to look at the tools but not see the person using the tools. How can these things do anything? They're just tea leaves, coffee grounds, or sticks and rocks. It mustn't work.

I did predict the economic downturn and how severe it would be. But how can people predict the economy with just paper and ink?

mmmmmm..
with paper and ink is kind of difficult
but with economic knowledge and data
you can use the ink and paper to make your calculations
ciscop

Postby Craig Browning » 19 Feb 2010, 22:59

ciscop wrote:
Kevin Kane wrote:I think the problem is that skeptics tend to look at the tools but not see the person using the tools. How can these things do anything? They're just tea leaves, coffee grounds, or sticks and rocks. It mustn't work.

mmmmmm..
with paper and ink is kind of difficult
but with economic knowledge and data
you can use the ink and paper to make your calculations

And in saying this you've just proven the point... using the available tools properly one can refine their best guess... call it a "hunch" and voila! The thing is, if you use Runes or the Tarot to reach said conclusions you're seen as a nut case, which is why most employ the socially accepted divination tools like mathematics, pens, pencils, paper, etc. :twisted:

I think the problem is that skeptics tend to look at the tools but not see the person using the tools. How can these things do anything? They're just tea leaves, coffee grounds, or sticks and rocks. It mustn't work.

There may be some truth to this, the old Judging a book by its cover kind of thing (contempt prior to investigation). Sadly, when we look at "the person" the majority of those we encounter really are air-headed nut cases. Let's face it, if you blow in the ear of a New Ager they will call it "Channeling".

When I was working in Vegas I was in the position to meet and get to know almost every licensed Psychic in town (you must be cleared by the FBI to work as a Psychic in Clark County Nevada as well as many other districts now days). Of the hundred or so I worked with less than a half-dozen gave me reason to raise my eyebrow and say, "This one may just be the real thing..."

The interesting thing is, this handful of individuals had several things about them and their lives that were similar; most had lived a rather difficult life and yet retained an exceptional sense of optimism and "spiritual" focus; They were humble, reasonably quiet, soft-spoken folk who typically lived in very humble, simple environments (oft time well outside of the larger population areas). All of them tinkered in the garden as well as other hobbies in which working with their hands and "nature" was the constant.

All of those that "failed" my observations also had a lot in common; a flamboyant "in your face" sense of presence, arrogance, carnal focus, boastful, inconsistent & malleable (fickle... always ready to run to the next trend). Almost every one of them were writing or had a book out along with other products such as CDs (tapes), healing oils, spell kits, etc. and, nearly every one of them had some kind of eating disorder and/or alternative vice such as sex addiction, alcoholism/drugs and other modes of "escape". . .
. . . then again, nearly all of them offered Readings that were of a formula style a.k.a. Cold Reading. :lol:
Craig Browning

Postby Kevin Kane » 20 Feb 2010, 04:27

When I briefly lived near Denver, we'd visit places like Taos or Sedona and meet similar sorts of people. Hippies, new agers, native americans and various colorful types. But then we'd return to the Denver suburbs and be confronted with shopping malls and skinheads. Your basic George Romero zombie film.
Kevin Kane

Previous

Return to Introduce Yourself