View Active Topics          Latest 100 Topics          View Your Posts          Switch to Mobile

Greetings from the Dark Side

Introduce yourself here!

Greetings from the Dark Side

Postby Craig Browning » 13 Feb 2010, 05:29

Anyone that may be here from the world of magic & magicians might recognize the name, I'm one of the most outspoken advocates for believers and people that do Psychic work within said world and as such, controversial.

While I've been a stickler in pointing fingers and generating question around Randi/JREF I'm not bias, I detest all cynics or, to be more accurate, all aspects of fanaticism. To me the world is not black & white but primarily grey -- the middle ground is where the "truth" resides.

I found this forum through some correspondence on a research project I'm involved in; a book that will take a critical look at the so-called "debunkers" out there and the "science" they employ but too, I'm out to expose the greater sham; how society is being manipulated by a plethora of folks who've set themselves up as "authorities" we're suppose to trust and rely on.

I'll try to chime in regularly, but please don't be a stranger ;)
User avatar
Craig Browning
 
Posts: 1526
Joined: 13 Feb 2010, 05:20
Location: Northampton, MA






Re: Greetings from the Dark Side

Postby Kevin Kane » 13 Feb 2010, 05:50

Hi Craig and welcome to SCEPCOP World HQ ... It's sort of like Interpol for catching skeptic fraud. And it's pretty easy to do, since most skeptics lack scientific training or insight.
User avatar
Kevin Kane
 
Posts: 377
Joined: 17 Jan 2010, 01:18

Re: Greetings from the Dark Side

Postby ProfWag » 13 Feb 2010, 06:27

Craig Browning wrote:Anyone that may be here from the world of magic & magicians might recognize the name, I'm one of the most outspoken advocates for believers and people that do Psychic work within said world and as such, controversial.

While I've been a stickler in pointing fingers and generating question around Randi/JREF I'm not bias, I detest all cynics or, to be more accurate, all aspects of fanaticism. To me the world is not black & white but primarily grey -- the middle ground is where the "truth" resides.

I found this forum through some correspondence on a research project I'm involved in; a book that will take a critical look at the so-called "debunkers" out there and the "science" they employ but too, I'm out to expose the greater sham; how society is being manipulated by a plethora of folks who've set themselves up as "authorities" we're suppose to trust and rely on.

I'll try to chime in regularly, but please don't be a stranger ;)

Hi Craig and yes, I know of you and your reputation. I look forward to good debates and hopefully, always in a professional manner...
User avatar
ProfWag
 
Posts: 3843
Joined: 05 Aug 2009, 03:54

Re: Greetings from the Dark Side

Postby Eteponge » 13 Feb 2010, 13:47

Welcome Craig!
"I think Eteponge's Blog is a pretty cool guy. eh debates Skeptics and doesnt afraid of anything."
User avatar
Eteponge
 
Posts: 300
Joined: 06 Jun 2009, 13:26

Re: Greetings from the Dark Side

Postby ProfWag » 13 Feb 2010, 19:34

Craig, when you say the world is not black and white, but grey, are you referring to the paranormal world?
User avatar
ProfWag
 
Posts: 3843
Joined: 05 Aug 2009, 03:54

Re: Greetings from the Dark Side

Postby NinjaPuppy » 13 Feb 2010, 19:49

Welcome Craig. I look forward to your insight.
User avatar
NinjaPuppy
 
Posts: 4002
Joined: 28 Jul 2009, 20:44

Re: Greetings from the Dark Side

Postby Craig Browning » 14 Feb 2010, 00:04

ProfWag wrote:Craig, when you say the world is not black and white, but grey, are you referring to the paranormal world?


I'm referring to LIFE in general. Even Science has it's peculiar little "unknowns" as it were :lol:

Regardless the issue I tend to stand firmly in the center, loathing any aspect of extreme or "fundamentalism" as it were. When someone holds to one pov and only that pov it becomes a matter of "Cult-Mind" and cannot be clear, fair, or balanced with what it observes. Such individuals are easily manipulated by the stronger personalities associated with the given issue be it politics, religion or questions around things Psychic & Paranormal. This is why I've always stated that parties on either side of any given issue are just as right as they are wrong and it is only when they meet in the middle that the greater "truth" comes to be known...
... it's a view that really gets my fundamentalist Christian mother bent all out of shape :twisted:
User avatar
Craig Browning
 
Posts: 1526
Joined: 13 Feb 2010, 05:20
Location: Northampton, MA

Re: Greetings from the Dark Side

Postby ciscop » 14 Feb 2010, 01:47

Craig...
if magicians point fingers at you
is because your advertise yourself as a psychic (craigthepsychic.com?)

while on the same page
you advertise Richard Webster
now.. to laypeople, Richard Webster´s name might not mean anything
but magicians in the knowledge that have read his books
know the techniques he teaches to FAKE being a psychic

hey if you do it for entertainment is all right
i think the esoteric brings a lot of resources to make magic a better experience
i just dont believe in telling people ¨i am a psychic¨
;)


oh..
And Welcome!
For every person who reads this valuable book there are hundreds of naïve souls who would prefer to have their spines tingled by a sensational but worthless potboiler by some hack journalist of the paranormal. You who now read these sentences join a small but wiser minority. Martin Gaardner (Psychology of the Psychic)
User avatar
ciscop
 
Posts: 1423
Joined: 22 Jul 2009, 12:04

Re: Greetings from the Dark Side

Postby ProfWag » 14 Feb 2010, 21:17

Craig Browning wrote:
ProfWag wrote:Craig, when you say the world is not black and white, but grey, are you referring to the paranormal world?


I'm referring to LIFE in general. Even Science has it's peculiar little "unknowns" as it were :lol:

Regardless the issue I tend to stand firmly in the center, loathing any aspect of extreme or "fundamentalism" as it were. When someone holds to one pov and only that pov it becomes a matter of "Cult-Mind" and cannot be clear, fair, or balanced with what it observes. Such individuals are easily manipulated by the stronger personalities associated with the given issue be it politics, religion or questions around things Psychic & Paranormal. This is why I've always stated that parties on either side of any given issue are just as right as they are wrong and it is only when they meet in the middle that the greater "truth" comes to be known...
... it's a view that really gets my fundamentalist Christian mother bent all out of shape :twisted:

Thanks for clarifying Craig. I do disagree a bit though when you say parties on either side of an issue are just as right as they are wrong. (Such as this post... :-) ) People who are on one side of the issue may not know the whole story on a subject and if they did, their opinion or stance on a subject would change.
User avatar
ProfWag
 
Posts: 3843
Joined: 05 Aug 2009, 03:54

Re: Greetings from the Dark Side

Postby Craig Browning » 15 Feb 2010, 02:08

ciscop wrote:Craig...
if magicians point fingers at you
is because your advertise yourself as a psychic (craigthepsychic.com?)

while on the same page
you advertise Richard Webster
now.. to laypeople, Richard Webster´s name might not mean anything
but magicians in the knowledge that have read his books
know the techniques he teaches to FAKE being a psychic

hey if you do it for entertainment is all right
i think the esoteric brings a lot of resources to make magic a better experience
i just dont believe in telling people ¨i am a psychic¨
;)
oh..
And Welcome!


Yea, and the cynics of magic ousted Richard as they've likewise harassed many others like myself, who work mentalism in ways that come off as "real" rather than doing a magic show.

I'll not argue nor go into the B.S. of having to defend myself... CraigThePsychic.com is however, kaput and has been for quite a while now. But as has been pointed out, you do not have all the information as to why I use that tag line or how I deal with it... that or like most cynics, you choose to ignore the many times I've explained myself on that front.

Magicians harass me for two reasons; their ignorance and their arrogance, little other.

Ignorance, in that they do not have the whole story and attack me, just as you have kindof done here, as the result of a knee jerk -- they judge a book by its cover or as the case were, an act by its name. Either way, it's contempt prior to proper investigation.

Arrogance, stems from both, this bit of assumption noted above and the LIE that magicians can't believe in or claim such things. The truth being that very few in the world of magic have ever watched me work and that includes my work as a Reader. They assume and thus insist on the idea that I have to be a crook and charlatan simply because they don't have the brass to do what I and countless other MENTALISTS do and have done since day one. I dare you to look at the history of Mentalism and not find emphasis on being a solid Reader and the working as such. This is the foundation skill required for the Home Party Market and much more and yet, magicians poo-poo it because of their arrogance -- because they know they can't pull it off and must lash out.

Richard Webster is well known to the shut-eye world as a legit expert in divinatory work and metaphysical philosophy. There are at least a dozen other very well known members of the Mentalist & Bizarrists communities with similar recognition but they chose to not use their real names in said markets. The magic world would probably have a coronary if it knew the truth about such things. Yet, these guys keep selling their books to the wannabes and keep getting pats on the back by all the know it alls... imagine that :twisted:

The reality is a con-artist can use any theme or craft as their vehicle. Most of them today call themselves Advertising Specialists and Lawyers.
User avatar
Craig Browning
 
Posts: 1526
Joined: 13 Feb 2010, 05:20
Location: Northampton, MA

Re: Greetings from the Dark Side

Postby NinjaPuppy » 15 Feb 2010, 03:55

Craig Browning wrote:The reality is a con-artist can use any theme or craft as their vehicle. Most of them today call themselves Advertising Specialists and Lawyers.

So true. The con-artists look for every venue available to take advantage. I've been trying to tell these skeptics that a con-artist is a con-artist and nothing more. The venue they choose to rip people off doesn't matter.
User avatar
NinjaPuppy
 
Posts: 4002
Joined: 28 Jul 2009, 20:44

Re: Greetings from the Dark Side

Postby Craig Browning » 15 Feb 2010, 23:05

NinjaPuppy wrote:
Craig Browning wrote:The reality is a con-artist can use any theme or craft as their vehicle. Most of them today call themselves Advertising Specialists and Lawyers.

So true. The con-artists look for every venue available to take advantage. I've been trying to tell these skeptics that a con-artist is a con-artist and nothing more. The venue they choose to rip people off doesn't matter.


The book I've been slooowly pulling together addresses how the public as accepted the Snake Oil peddlers into their lives as being "normal"... we ignore how the butcher places their thumb on the scale, etc. because we've been taught to pay no attention to the man behind the curtain.

My personal agenda has nothing to do with prove the validity of "Psychics" or the "Paranormal" but merely to "out" the predators that are in our world, with the characters that claim to want to protect and "educate" us being at the fore; I've seen more corruption within the auspices of such groups than one will find in the Advertising, Legal or Political worlds... let alone petty thievery elements that a Psychic front will give a person.
User avatar
Craig Browning
 
Posts: 1526
Joined: 13 Feb 2010, 05:20
Location: Northampton, MA

Re: Greetings from the Dark Side

Postby ciscop » 16 Feb 2010, 02:24

Craig Browning wrote:
ciscop wrote:Craig...

Yea, and the cynics of magic ousted Richard as they've likewise harassed many others like myself, who work mentalism in ways that come off as "real" rather than doing a magic show.

I'll not argue nor go into the B.S. of having to defend myself... CraigThePsychic.com is however, kaput and has been for quite a while now. But as has been pointed out, you do not have all the information as to why I use that tag line or how I deal with it... that or like most cynics, you choose to ignore the many times I've explained myself on that front.

Magicians harass me for two reasons; their ignorance and their arrogance, little other.

Ignorance, in that they do not have the whole story and attack me, just as you have kindof done here, as the result of a knee jerk -- they judge a book by its cover or as the case were, an act by its name. Either way, it's contempt prior to proper investigation.

Arrogance, stems from both, this bit of assumption noted above and the LIE that magicians can't believe in or claim such things. The truth being that very few in the world of magic have ever watched me work and that includes my work as a Reader. They assume and thus insist on the idea that I have to be a crook and charlatan simply because they don't have the brass to do what I and countless other MENTALISTS do and have done since day one. I dare you to look at the history of Mentalism and not find emphasis on being a solid Reader and the working as such. This is the foundation skill required for the Home Party Market and much more and yet, magicians poo-poo it because of their arrogance -- because they know they can't pull it off and must lash out.

Richard Webster is well known to the shut-eye world as a legit expert in divinatory work and metaphysical philosophy. There are at least a dozen other very well known members of the Mentalist & Bizarrists communities with similar recognition but they chose to not use their real names in said markets. The magic world would probably have a coronary if it knew the truth about such things. Yet, these guys keep selling their books to the wannabes and keep getting pats on the back by all the know it alls... imagine that :twisted:

The reality is a con-artist can use any theme or craft as their vehicle. Most of them today call themselves Advertising Specialists and Lawyers.


i never attacked you
i just pointed out
that magicians are easy to get suspicious when they spot a guy saying he is a psychic (or psychic entertainers) while he also advertises tricks to fake that. i have met a lot of them that think they are fooling magicians or that they are better magicians ¨because they are living the part¨ much like Chung Ling Soo.. personally i think that is BS.

Hey, i have nothing against Richard, he is a great writer nor i have against all Readers (i have met some that are quite cool)
i think both are entertaining.
i also said that tarot reading, pendullums and all that stuff brings a lot to the art of mentalism, i dont forget that was the esoteric world was the starting point where we ¨borrowed¨some of our stuff.

so Craig
is it an act or are you trully gifted?
For every person who reads this valuable book there are hundreds of naïve souls who would prefer to have their spines tingled by a sensational but worthless potboiler by some hack journalist of the paranormal. You who now read these sentences join a small but wiser minority. Martin Gaardner (Psychology of the Psychic)
User avatar
ciscop
 
Posts: 1423
Joined: 22 Jul 2009, 12:04

Re: Greetings from the Dark Side

Postby ProfWag » 16 Feb 2010, 03:36

NinjaPuppy wrote:
Craig Browning wrote:The reality is a con-artist can use any theme or craft as their vehicle. Most of them today call themselves Advertising Specialists and Lawyers.

So true. The con-artists look for every venue available to take advantage. I've been trying to tell these skeptics that a con-artist is a con-artist and nothing more. The venue they choose to rip people off doesn't matter.

Absolutely correct NinjaPuppy. There are con-artists in almost every profession. I think we should all call their bluff when needed as well. It's not just the Sylvia Browne's of the world that make me sick to my stomach.
User avatar
ProfWag
 
Posts: 3843
Joined: 05 Aug 2009, 03:54

Re: Greetings from the Dark Side

Postby ciscop » 16 Feb 2010, 09:25

Craig Browning wrote:
NinjaPuppy wrote:
Craig Browning wrote:The reality is a con-artist can use any theme or craft as their vehicle. Most of them
we ignore how the butcher places their thumb on the scale, etc. because we've been taught to pay no attention to the man behind the curtain.



thats a great quote.. love it
For every person who reads this valuable book there are hundreds of naïve souls who would prefer to have their spines tingled by a sensational but worthless potboiler by some hack journalist of the paranormal. You who now read these sentences join a small but wiser minority. Martin Gaardner (Psychology of the Psychic)
User avatar
ciscop
 
Posts: 1423
Joined: 22 Jul 2009, 12:04

Next

Return to Introduce Yourself

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests

cron