View Active Topics          Latest 100 Topics          View Your Posts          Switch to Mobile

I'm looking for somebody to help me with something.

Introduce yourself here!

I'm looking for somebody to help me with something.

Postby ChristinaV23 » 09 Jan 2013, 01:07

Ok, so, since I was about fifteen, I've noticed some weird things about myself. I came here for help figuring out exactly what it is because maybe somebody will believe me. I don't know how else to do this, so I'm gonna just jump in. I think the first time anything happened to me was when I was walking downtown. I got a strong urge, almost like a push, to go a certain direction, and then a name of a boy I had been talking to popped into my head. A minute later, I run into that said person. That's happened to me multiple times since. Another thing that weirds me out sometimes is I'll be looking at a persons' profile, on say, Facebook, and I don't know these people, never met or seen these people before, and I get a smell when I look at their pictures. It's always different, as in different people, different smells. Also, a name will sometimes randomly pop into my head, and the phone will ring and it'll be that person calling, or I'll run into that person somewhere that day or the next. The last thing I've recently noticed is a connection with my ex. It's a very odd phenomenon that I can't quite put into words, but here's my attempt. I think this happens when he thinks about me. Like, his name will pop into my head, and I'll see a part of the place that we were living in together. I dunno. It goes a bit deeper than that, but I can't explain it any better. I can't explain any of this stuff, really. I'm just looking for some answers. :P
ChristinaV23

Re: I'm looking for somebody to help me with something.

Postby Arouet » 09 Jan 2013, 02:03

ChristinaV23 wrote:Ok, so, since I was about fifteen, I've noticed some weird things about myself. I came here for help figuring out exactly what it is because maybe somebody will believe me. I don't know how else to do this, so I'm gonna just jump in. I think the first time anything happened to me was when I was walking downtown. I got a strong urge, almost like a push, to go a certain direction, and then a name of a boy I had been talking to popped into my head. A minute later, I run into that said person. That's happened to me multiple times since. Another thing that weirds me out sometimes is I'll be looking at a persons' profile, on say, Facebook, and I don't know these people, never met or seen these people before, and I get a smell when I look at their pictures. It's always different, as in different people, different smells. Also, a name will sometimes randomly pop into my head, and the phone will ring and it'll be that person calling, or I'll run into that person somewhere that day or the next. The last thing I've recently noticed is a connection with my ex. It's a very odd phenomenon that I can't quite put into words, but here's my attempt. I think this happens when he thinks about me. Like, his name will pop into my head, and I'll see a part of the place that we were living in together. I dunno. It goes a bit deeper than that, but I can't explain it any better. I can't explain any of this stuff, really. I'm just looking for some answers. :P

Well, the first thing to consider, is something called Confirmation Bias. That's where you remember the hits and forget the misses. Ie: you remember when you're thinking about the person and then see them but forget about all those times you thought about the person but didn't see them. We all do this, its built in.

You might be interested in Rupert Sheldrake who has done some experiments involving the sense of being stared at, or whether we can predict when someone is calling. There's a lot of discussion about how valid they are, so take them with a grain of salt, but you still might want to look them up.
Arouet

Postby ChristinaV23 » 09 Jan 2013, 02:25

I'm definatly going to try that out. Thank you.
ChristinaV23

Postby NinjaPuppy » 09 Jan 2013, 05:24

Welcome!
It sounds like you've got some 'insight' happening here. I agree with Arouet that keeping track of your hits and misses as a start. I have not read anything by Sheldrake but I'll be adding his name to my reading list.
NinjaPuppy

Postby SydneyPSIder » 10 Jan 2013, 09:09

It sounds like something is going on. Unless you live in a town of 100 people where you see just about everyone the same day or the next. Apart from obvious indicators like that, if you live in a large anonymous place and this happens it is possible you have a sort of 24 hour premonition thing happening, and other medium-like artifacts -- e.g. seeing a face or touching the possession of someone and being able to get information about them. This may develop further, most small-scale mediums who are practising do this, i.e. they can tell people things about their acquaintances etc that they could not possibly know beforehand or deduce from any 'cold reading' chicanery:

Without prior knowledge of a person, a practiced cold reader can still quickly obtain a great deal of information about the subject by analyzing the person's body language, age, clothing or fashion, hairstyle, gender, sexual orientation, religion, race or ethnicity, level of education, manner of speech, place of origin, etc. Cold readers commonly employ high probability guesses about the subject, quickly picking up on signals from their subjects as to whether their guesses are in the right direction or not, and then emphasizing and reinforcing any chance connections the subjects acknowledge while quickly moving on from missed guesses.

I've had a couple of readings lately as a test of mediums, and they have told me things they could not possibly work out from the above tactics, no missed guesses or corrections, just describing friends of mine physically and in personality that they've never met, etc.
SydneyPSIder

Postby really? » 08 Feb 2013, 04:28

I would rule out confirmation bias and cognitive bias first.
The association of seeing a photo and smell may indicate you are a synesthete.
really?

Postby GEC » 20 Oct 2016, 17:10

Helps you understand the world we live in. Education is what you need if you want an answer to your ‘whats’ and ‘hows’ and ‘wheres’. It helps you understand the world you live in. You get to know more about your surroundings as well as the whole world through subjects like history, geography, science etc.
GEC Middle East
GEC

Return to Introduce Yourself