[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4752: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4754: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4755: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4756: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
I am a sceptic . . . : Introduce Yourself • SCEPCOP Forum

View Active Topics          View Your Posts          Latest 100 Topics          Switch to Mobile

I am a sceptic . . .

Introduce yourself here!

I am a sceptic . . .

Postby johno » 25 Jul 2009, 21:49

. . . but a curious one. Who knows? I might be persuaded to change my mind. The paranormal covers a range of subjects from the fairly plausible, to the grotesquely incredible. For example I am intrigued by some of the PEAR data on psi effects on random-number generators, but there are other paranormal subjects that ought to tax the credulity of even the most gullible---It is left as an exercise to the reader to make his choice between the bits he quite reasonably subscribes to, and the bits the woo-woos believe in.

I am retired. I used to be a professional scientist working in a British university. I found this forum from a posting on the forum at

http://www.freeratio.org/
johno

Re: I am a sceptic . . .

Postby Scepcop » 25 Jul 2009, 22:41

Hi Johno,
Welcome to the SCEPCOP forum.

You make some good points. In most controversies, the truth tends to be somewhere in the middle, and not squarely on either side. And yes, the paranormal is a big umbrella term that covers a lot of things, hence it's hard to say whether one is pro-paranormal or anti-paranormal as it's too broad, unless you are a fanatic of either side.

But as long as you keep asking questions and keep an open mind, you can continue to learn new things.

So what kind of scientist were you? Have you met any famous scientists or researchers?

I just posted on the forum where you came from. It's funny that one of the forum posters said that this site is not even worth looking at since it constituted solipism. Whatever. That is a very closed minded approach for a "rationalist". But frankly I've never understand why those who call themselves "rationalists" or "freethinkers" are so closed minded and reject data when it doesn't fit into their beliefs, and believe that only an Atheist can call himself those terms. That's certainly not "rational" behavior, nor is it the hallmark of a "free" mind. Hence a big oxymoron and contradiction.

It kind of reminds me of how capitalists like to say that capitalism is a Christian concept, even though Christianity says greed is bad and capitalism says greed is good. Typical oxymoron, among many.
“Devotion to the truth is the hallmark of morality; there is no greater, nobler, more heroic form of devotion than the act of a man who assumes the responsibility of thinking.” - Ayn Rand, Atlas Shrugged
Scepcop
Site Admin

Postby Eteponge » 26 Jul 2009, 01:03

Welcome to the forum, I myself find the excluded middle ground to be the best position to remain at.
"I think Eteponge's Blog is a pretty cool guy. eh debates Skeptics and doesnt afraid of anything."
Eteponge

Postby leo100 » 26 Jul 2009, 03:12

Welcome Johno to the forum
leo100

Postby johno » 26 Jul 2009, 14:54

johno

Postby ciscop » 28 Jul 2009, 00:49

hahahahahahaha
amazing story

well done johno!!
For every person who reads this valuable book there are hundreds of naïve souls who would prefer to have their spines tingled by a sensational but worthless potboiler by some hack journalist of the paranormal. You who now read these sentences join a small but wiser minority. Martin Gaardner (Psychology of the Psychic)
ciscop

Postby Scepcop » 30 Jul 2009, 08:41

I had Brian Josephson look at this thread and he said he can't recall who you are. Can you give any more clues that might help jog his memory?
“Devotion to the truth is the hallmark of morality; there is no greater, nobler, more heroic form of devotion than the act of a man who assumes the responsibility of thinking.” - Ayn Rand, Atlas Shrugged
Scepcop
Site Admin

Return to Introduce Yourself