View Active Topics          Latest 100 Topics          View Your Posts          Switch to Mobile

Newb

Introduce yourself here!

Newb

Postby Eternally Learning » 24 Mar 2011, 00:39

Hello all,

Just signed up this very minute. I'll keep it brief so as not to induce too much snoring :). Basically, I'm a free-thinker who tries not to pre-judge too much and is very self-critical. I dislike labels as I feel they don't convey the full story, but suffice it to say I've earned my skeptical community badge, my non-theist badge, and my science enthusiast badge. I'm sure I could think of others, but like I said, don't want to bore you all.

I'll flat out say that I don't feel that there's enough evidence to conclude that aliens, PSI, the supernatural, etc. exist. I'd consider myself above average than most on the front of being open-minded about such things, and solemnly swear that if sufficient evidence were to be presented to me, I'd change my mind. With that, you now know more about me that I do you, but hopefully that'll change soon. I don't plan on becoming some poster of extraordinary magnitude here, and will likely be only casually involved so if it takes me a day to respond, please don't take it the wrong way.

I usually try to stay pretty civil, even when dealing with those who aren't so fear not, I'm not one of "those people" looking to have a cheap laugh at your expense; my only thought is to enter into honest discussions with you.
User avatar
Eternally Learning
 
Posts: 56
Joined: 24 Mar 2011, 00:28






Re: Newb

Postby ProfWag » 24 Mar 2011, 04:47

Eternally Learning wrote:Hello all,

Just signed up this very minute. I'll keep it brief so as not to induce too much snoring :). Basically, I'm a free-thinker who tries not to pre-judge too much and is very self-critical. I dislike labels as I feel they don't convey the full story, but suffice it to say I've earned my skeptical community badge, my non-theist badge, and my science enthusiast badge. I'm sure I could think of others, but like I said, don't want to bore you all.

I'll flat out say that I don't feel that there's enough evidence to conclude that aliens, PSI, the supernatural, etc. exist. I'd consider myself above average than most on the front of being open-minded about such things, and solemnly swear that if sufficient evidence were to be presented to me, I'd change my mind. With that, you now know more about me that I do you, but hopefully that'll change soon. I don't plan on becoming some poster of extraordinary magnitude here, and will likely be only casually involved so if it takes me a day to respond, please don't take it the wrong way.

I usually try to stay pretty civil, even when dealing with those who aren't so fear not, I'm not one of "those people" looking to have a cheap laugh at your expense; my only thought is to enter into honest discussions with you.

A hearty welcome Eternal!
User avatar
ProfWag
 
Posts: 3843
Joined: 05 Aug 2009, 03:54

Re: Newb

Postby Eternally Learning » 24 Mar 2011, 07:11

Thanks Prof!
User avatar
Eternally Learning
 
Posts: 56
Joined: 24 Mar 2011, 00:28

Re: Newb

Postby Arouet » 24 Mar 2011, 07:16

Welcome!
User avatar
Arouet
 
Posts: 2544
Joined: 07 Aug 2010, 03:07

Re: Newb

Postby Eternally Learning » 24 Mar 2011, 07:56

Arouet wrote:Welcome!


Thanks! It was nice to see a familiar (although more static) avatar :)
User avatar
Eternally Learning
 
Posts: 56
Joined: 24 Mar 2011, 00:28

Re: Newb

Postby Arouet » 24 Mar 2011, 11:48

Eternally Learning wrote:
Arouet wrote:Welcome!


Thanks! It was nice to see a familiar (although more static) avatar :)


Thanks! I still like looking at it! round and round and round....
User avatar
Arouet
 
Posts: 2544
Joined: 07 Aug 2010, 03:07

Re: Newb

Postby NinjaPuppy » 24 Mar 2011, 17:26

Welcome!
User avatar
NinjaPuppy
 
Posts: 4002
Joined: 28 Jul 2009, 20:44

Re: Newb

Postby Eternally Learning » 24 Mar 2011, 20:16

NinjaPuppy wrote:Welcome!


Thanks Ninja! Love your avatar btw.
User avatar
Eternally Learning
 
Posts: 56
Joined: 24 Mar 2011, 00:28

Re: Newb

Postby really? » 24 Mar 2011, 20:34

Welcome Eternally Learning.
really?
 
Posts: 1009
Joined: 06 Mar 2010, 20:58

Re: Newb

Postby NinjaPuppy » 24 Mar 2011, 22:38

Eternally Learning wrote:
NinjaPuppy wrote:Welcome!


Thanks Ninja! Love your avatar btw.

Thank you.
User avatar
NinjaPuppy
 
Posts: 4002
Joined: 28 Jul 2009, 20:44

Re: Newb

Postby Eternally Learning » 24 Mar 2011, 22:51

really? wrote:Welcome Eternally Learning.


Thanks really?!
User avatar
Eternally Learning
 
Posts: 56
Joined: 24 Mar 2011, 00:28

Re: Newb

Postby ProfWag » 24 Mar 2011, 23:00

NinjaPuppy wrote:
Eternally Learning wrote:
NinjaPuppy wrote:Welcome!


Thanks Ninja! Love your avatar btw.

Thank you.

I do too Ninja. And when someone tries to sneek in a spam or an "illegal" post, that's exactly how I see your reaction... :-)
User avatar
ProfWag
 
Posts: 3843
Joined: 05 Aug 2009, 03:54

Re: Newb

Postby Scepcop » 26 Mar 2011, 15:44

Welcome Eternally Learning. Nice avatar. You look like either a cartoon superhero, or a space traveler. lol

You say the evidence isn't enough. Have you really studied it? What have you read? Have you seen any great documentaries or read any great books that contain a lot of evidence? Many skeptics say that there is no evidence without doing any research.
“Devotion to the truth is the hallmark of morality; there is no greater, nobler, more heroic form of devotion than the act of a man who assumes the responsibility of thinking.” - Ayn Rand, Atlas Shrugged
User avatar
Scepcop
Site Admin
 
Posts: 3256
Joined: 16 May 2009, 07:29

Re: Newb

Postby Eternally Learning » 28 Mar 2011, 10:59

Scepcop wrote:Welcome Eternally Learning. Nice avatar. You look like either a cartoon superhero, or a space traveler. lol

You say the evidence isn't enough. Have you really studied it? What have you read? Have you seen any great documentaries or read any great books that contain a lot of evidence? Many skeptics say that there is no evidence without doing any research.


Well, I say I don't feel that there's enough evidence, though I admit I didn't measure that statement as well as I should have. Really, I mean that I haven't seen anything yet that would lead me to conclude such things, and I've seen plenty which provides simpler, alternate explanations which require fewer new assumptions.

As far as my research, I'll state up front that I lack the time and resources to really dig into these topics hard core, which is one of the reasons why I'm drawn to places like this. If I don't have time to read all the literature, watch all the videos, and keep up on the latest news, I can come here and ask you fine people to please present me with your best evidence supporting your position.

I'm fairly conscious that it's easy to get unwittingly trapped into one way of thinking about things, so I honestly try to break out and find new and different perspectives, thus my username :). Oh, the avatar BTW, is from Space Quest 6. Classic PC game with a great sense of humor.
User avatar
Eternally Learning
 
Posts: 56
Joined: 24 Mar 2011, 00:28


Return to Introduce Yourself

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest

cron