View Active Topics          Latest 100 Topics          View Your Posts          Switch to Mobile

Started a blog!

Introduce yourself here!

Started a blog!

Postby Arouet » 15 Dec 2010, 01:57

Ok guys, so I decided to dip my toe into the blogosphere. I've started a skeptical blog called The Pleasure of Doubt.

Don't have too much up there yet, and I haven't nailed down the exact format yet. But please subscribe if you want to and please provide comments - whether you agree or disagree with me.

http://pleasureofdoubt.wordpress.com/
Arouet

Re: Started a blog!

Postby derrida » 15 Dec 2010, 08:56

mine is called ¨the pleasure of procrastination¨
i still havent wrote anything...
derrida

Postby Arouet » 15 Dec 2010, 09:05

Hey! That was mine for the longest time! Guess you can have it now that I'm done with it!
Arouet

Postby derrida » 15 Dec 2010, 22:52

i finally read your blog
pretty cool arouet
i think i can learn from that one

and i totally agree with you
that pretty much skeptics and believers we all blame the other side of being close minded.

a big ¨facebook like¨ to your blog
derrida

Postby Scepcop » 16 Dec 2010, 02:36

Congrats on entering the blogosphere. What do you plan on writing about? Debunking the paranormal?
“Devotion to the truth is the hallmark of morality; there is no greater, nobler, more heroic form of devotion than the act of a man who assumes the responsibility of thinking.” - Ayn Rand, Atlas Shrugged
Scepcop
Site Admin

Postby ProfWag » 16 Dec 2010, 03:42

Scepcop wrote:Congrats on entering the blogosphere. What do you plan on writing about? Debunking the paranormal?

Why does everything have to be about debunking with you Scepcop? Can't people have a rational discussion about a subject that leads them to their own conclusion rather than bashing the other side for the sake of disagreement?
If you truly have an open mind, then rational discussion is the way to go, I believe, rather than setting out to "debunk" something. My two cents anyway.
ProfWag

Postby Arouet » 16 Dec 2010, 04:38

As derrida says, it's not about debunking. Skepticism and debunking are not the same, although a skeptical analysis will sometimes lead to debunking. If debunking comes in it will be because it comes out naturally from my discussion, not as a focus.

I plan on writing about topics that interest me surrounding skepticism, critical thinking, and psi. Not really the paranormal per se: I don't have much interest in alien abductions, for example. I am quite interested in the purported evidence for psi. I'm interested in why people believe what they do.

I'm just getting started so we'll have to see how it develops. I don't have a set plan in mind. Right now, I just want to make sure I update it and hopefully get some regular readings to discuss these things with!
Arouet

Postby derrida » 16 Dec 2010, 08:03

Arouet wrote:As derrida says, it's not about debunking. Skepticism and debunking are not the same, although a skeptical analysis will sometimes lead to debunking. If debunking comes in it will be because it comes out naturally from my discussion, not as a focus.

I plan on writing about topics that interest me surrounding skepticism, critical thinking, and psi. Not really the paranormal per se: I don't have much interest in alien abductions, for example. I am quite interested in the purported evidence for psi. I'm interested in why people believe what they do.

I'm just getting started so we'll have to see how it develops. I don't have a set plan in mind. Right now, I just want to make sure I update it and hopefully get some regular readings to discuss these things with!

well when you have new articles
do tell us
i will gladly read you

dissect the WHOLE scescop manifesto.. if you have that incredible amount of time to waste.
derrida

Return to Introduce Yourself