View Active Topics          Latest 100 Topics          View Your Posts          Switch to Mobile

Hello - I'm New!

Introduce yourself here!

Re: Hello - I'm New!

Postby ProfWag » 05 Dec 2010, 22:13

Scepcop wrote:
ProfWag wrote:
Scepcop wrote:Dean Radin's books are good. But they are heavy on left brained science and statistics, not on imagination or creativity and concepts. :)

Dean Radin's experiments have probably come as close as anyone as to allowing the scientific community to accept the plausibility of psi (thought that has yet to happen), yet you want to throw his work out the window and point people into imagination and creativity. Shouldn't facts and test results outweight imagination and creativity? I think I'm beginning to figure you out Scepcop...

One gains the most knowledge by using both left and right brains. You are so limited.

Scientific data isn't the only way to know things. I am not limited by it like you are. Direct experience is far more convincing. Even Einstein said so. And he's right. Even without Radin and his types, the direct experiences of so many are convincing enough.

I am inclined to disagree with you on this post, Scepcop.
ProfWag

Postby Arouet » 05 Dec 2010, 23:17

Scepcop didn't understand the Einstein quote.
Arouet

Postby ProfWag » 06 Dec 2010, 23:50

Arouet wrote:Scepcop didn't understand the Einstein quote.

Thanks for bringing that up. Since he didn't actually quote what Einstein said, I guess I really don't know what he's talking about.
ProfWag

Postby Arouet » 07 Dec 2010, 00:13

ProfWag wrote:
Arouet wrote:Scepcop didn't understand the Einstein quote.

Thanks for bringing that up. Since he didn't actually quote what Einstein said, I guess I really don't know what he's talking about.

He's had an einstein quote for awhile now in his post signature, that he recently changed. i don't recall the exact wording. Something about evidence and experience. Now, I'm no expert in Einstein, but I have an idea of what he's getting at, and I don't think it's what scepcop thought.
Arouet

Postby Craig Browning » 07 Dec 2010, 08:53

Arouet wrote:Funny, little known fact - we all use both sides of our brain!

BUT, only by degree! Just as some are born left handed or right, so too are some folks born with a stronger propensity towards logic or creativity (imagination). With this same truth there is the fact that (I believe this was in Psychology Today Magazine about two years back) people with a strong propensity towards belief in the phenomenal (psychics, divinity, etc.) have a higher level of a certain hormone (might just be a chemical, I forget) that affects them biologically, literally "causing" the need to believe; the higher this particular element withing the individual, the stronger their sense of faith. BUT (yet again) NOT ALL BELIEVERS cling to their faith as the result of this chemical or even being Left Brained... no, a good chunk of the world's cabbage worshipers do so as the result of social osmosis -- a.k.a. Monkey See, Monkey Do -- most everyone living in the U.S. most typically recognizes themselves as being "Christians" because it is the environment they were most exposed to in life. Not so much when it comes to those that grew up in the 70s, 80s, and 90's (since the 1950's there has been a marked decline with each decade, when it comes to a belief in the divine at the social-intellectual level, even though it is still the most wide-spread "conscience" in North America).

*There is another important "marker" to what I've said; geography! Even to this day, persons raised in the deep south tend to cling to God & the Bible because of cultural influence and tribal mind/mentality. This region has actually seen an increase in fundamentalism/fanaticism... and I include both in that the latter envelopes the expansion of faux Christian groups like the KKK and American NAZI Party.

SIDE NOTE: Needless to say, this same societal effect ties in well with documented details on Out of Body/Near Death type scenarios; the person that comes back and describes the event will give details based on their cultural exposure. Some of the more interesting situations being non-believers that come back, swearing that they saw Jesus or Moses or even Krishna and change their lives and lifestyle accordingly. Then again, the opposite has happened; devoted people of faith experiencing nothingness, which is typically misunderstood, seen as "failure" to connect to the divine, forgetting that the epitome of that journey is to become one in the midst of the great mystery... that peace that some call Nirvana and others see as heaven and still others see as being a rotting corpse feeding worms... but hey, whatever float your boat... there are many paths leading to the same destination :twisted:

Getting Back to the Whole Brain Thing... I've often argued with my self over the rational vs. imaginative mind and how it has AFFECTED my life as well as the effects there of, based on my own brain/being. For some peculiar reason I can see the Virgo-Libra cusp in full glory within the manner that my brain seems to let me process things; nothing like an anal-retentive creative thespian that loves to tinker and who's ADD makes him stop midstream and chase the next butterfly that comes along... :? (and people wonder why I'm so strange) :? But then, this is just one more demonstration that leads me towards that odd bend of being a "partial" believer in the fantastic. Those Libran bits of fickleness however, keep me running hot & cold... advocate one day, detractor the next... sort of. For instance, I just shifted the whole Left/Right Brain into a new gear by hinting at how one's astrological influence could be the catalyst that makes us the humble patron of spirit or a cold-hearted cynic. :roll:
Craig Browning

Postby Arouet » 07 Dec 2010, 09:15

Here's a short article from Stephen Novella.

http://theness.com/neurologicablog/?p=27

I'll have to do some more digging, but my understanding is the left brain/right brain thing came from some studies in the 60s and while there is no question that each half of the brain is responsible for certain things, the interaction between the two halves are complex. The left/brained right brained person idea has been discredited.

If you have actual scientific information otherwise I'd certainly change my mind, but my understanding is that the consensus is that it is a myth.
Arouet

Previous

Return to Introduce Yourself