View Active Topics          Latest 100 Topics          View Your Posts          Switch to Mobile

Why Boston Marathon Bombings Ignited Conspiracies

Discuss Conspiracies and Cover Ups - e.g. 9/11 Truth, JFK Assassination, New World Order, Roswell, Moon Hoax, Secret Societies, etc. whatever conspiracy floats your boat.

Re: Why Boston Marathon Bombings Ignited Conspiracies

Postby SydneyPSIder » 21 Jun 2013, 19:10

Arouet wrote:(incidentally, I'm not American and can hardly be labelled an American patriot.)

Correction: And I sometimes wonder if some of our resident pseudosceps aren't over-patriotic intelligence operatives at times, paid or unpaid.
SydneyPSIder

Postby Arouet » 21 Jun 2013, 20:26

SydneyPSIder wrote:
Arouet wrote:(incidentally, I'm not American and can hardly be labelled an American patriot.)

Correction: And I sometimes wonder if some of our resident pseudosceps aren't over-patriotic intelligence operatives at times, paid or unpaid.

I'm curious as to your thoughts on the other points that I made about how to approach evidence.
Arouet

Postby SydneyPSIder » 21 Jun 2013, 21:20

Arouet wrote:
SydneyPSIder wrote:

I'm curious as to your thoughts on the other points that I made about how to approach evidence.

I dunno. Check out this guy. Wonder why the MSM didn't do an investigative job on him after 9/11?

http://www.madcowprod.com/2013/03/06/so ... -to-trial/

http://www.madcowprod.com/2012/12/21/ev ... s-dossier/
SydneyPSIder

Postby Arouet » 21 Jun 2013, 22:52

SydneyPSIder wrote:I dunno. Check out this guy. Wonder why the MSM didn't do an investigative job on him after 9/11?

You have no thoughts about the whether the same evidence can support multiple hypotheses or whether we should take care when seeing if evidence fits one hypothese whether it would also support other hypotheses? Or whether someone profiting from a public policy is indicative of their necessarily having input in making the policy in the first place?

Skepticism is about how one approaches evaluating claims. You consider yourself a "true skeptic" right? And you don't hesitate to call others pseudoskeptics. I would think you would think it important to discuss the issue of skepticsm itself and how to best apply skeptical thinking (and therefore be able to differentiate between true skepticsm and pseudo-skepticism.)
Arouet

Postby NinjaPuppy » 21 Jun 2013, 23:18

SydneyPSIder wrote:Correction: And I sometimes wonder if some of our resident pseudosceps aren't over-patriotic intelligence operatives at times, paid or unpaid.

Syd made me smile...... :P
NinjaPuppy

Postby SydneyPSIder » 22 Jun 2013, 12:51

Arouet wrote:
SydneyPSIder wrote:I dunno. Check out this guy. Wonder why the MSM didn't do an investigative job on him after 9/11?

You have no thoughts about the whether the same evidence can support multiple hypotheses or whether we should take care when seeing if evidence fits one hypothese whether it would also support other hypotheses? Or whether someone profiting from a public policy is indicative of their necessarily having input in making the policy in the first place?

Skepticism is about how one approaches evaluating claims. You consider yourself a "true skeptic" right? And you don't hesitate to call others pseudoskeptics. I would think you would think it important to discuss the issue of skepticsm itself and how to best apply skeptical thinking (and therefore be able to differentiate between true skepticsm and pseudo-skepticism.)

a pseudosceptic is as a pseudosceptic does, Arou...
SydneyPSIder

Postby SydneyPSIder » 24 Jun 2013, 21:33

Arouet wrote:

It's all been done before, Arou. I have lots of thoughts, but I don't feel like typing 10,000 word theses on the nature of evidence and epistemology at the drop of a hat, especially in response to tortured lines of Socratic questioning with some sort of cryptic moral behind them.
SydneyPSIder

Postby Arouet » 24 Jun 2013, 23:28

Well, the reason I bring them up is because I see you and others constantly bring up lines of argument that don't seem to take those points into account. So I thought it might be useful to have a more direct conversation on it.
Arouet

Postby really? » 25 Jun 2013, 19:16

Arouet wrote:Well, the reason I bring them up is because I see you and others constantly bring up lines of argument that don't seem to take those points into account. So I thought it might be useful to have a more direct conversation on it.

As you know, it's common for people to ignore the things they don't want to hear. It's the path to resolving cognitive dissonance.

I have been aware for a long time that people will readily tell you what causes them to support their beliefs, yet when asked to explain why they believe something is true they most often remain silent. It seems that introspection makes them uncomfortable.
really?

Postby SydneyPSIder » 25 Jun 2013, 23:04

Arouet wrote:Well, the reason I bring them up is because I see you and others constantly bring up lines of argument that don't seem to take those points into account. So I thought it might be useful to have a more direct conversation on it.

I have no idea what you're talking about, as usual, Arou. Too much indirection and circumlocution in your vague remarks and rhetorical questions.

Can you just type the question succinctly you want to ask below and I'll solemnly try to answer it, unless it requires thousands of words.
SydneyPSIder

Postby Arouet » 26 Jun 2013, 02:24

SydneyPSIder wrote:

I have no idea what you're talking about, as usual, Arou. Too much indirection and circumlocution in your vague remarks and rhetorical questions.

Can you just type the question succinctly you want to ask below and I'll solemnly try to answer it, unless it requires thousands of words.

Well, my comments weren't rhetorical but I guess I'll accept that as you agreeing with them. I don't think they were vague either (ie: I gave a specific recent example of Scepcop doing just what I was talking about).

I'm not going to go back and dig up examples from you but I will point out new instances as they come along.
Arouet

Postby SydneyPSIder » 28 Jun 2013, 19:48

Arouet wrote:
SydneyPSIder wrote:

Well, my comments weren't rhetorical but I guess I'll accept that as you agreeing with them. I don't think they were vague either (ie: I gave a specific recent example of Scepcop doing just what I was talking about).

I'm not going to go back and dig up examples from you but I will point out new instances as they come along.

So you don't want to offer a succinct question. Thank you, noted.
SydneyPSIder

Postby Arouet » 28 Jun 2013, 21:33

ok
Arouet

Previous

Return to Conspiracies / Cover Ups