View Active Topics          Latest 100 Topics          View Your Posts          Switch to Mobile

I Know Why People Et al like CT's

Discuss Conspiracies and Cover Ups - e.g. 9/11 Truth, JFK Assassination, New World Order, Roswell, Moon Hoax, Secret Societies, etc. whatever conspiracy floats your boat.

I Know Why People Et al like CT's

Postby really? » 17 Feb 2013, 11:54

Why we buy into conspiracy theories
IT’S what they want you to believe. Swallowing conspiracy theories can actually make you feel safer and help make sense of the world, according to new research.

The research, conducted by Goldsmiths, University of London, examined a number of famous conspiracy theories, including those surrounding the assassination of JFK and the “fake” moon landing, and concluded that coming up with an explanation, however far-fetched, can make people feel more in control of the situation. The findings, which suggest that conspiracy theories have a useful purpose, will be presented this week at the British Psychological Society’s Annual Conference.

Source: The Scotsman

Professor Chris French, of the Anomalistic Psychology Research Unit at Goldsmiths says, “If you put people into circumstances and conditions where they don’t feel like they have any control, then conspiratorial thinking and superstitions seem to increase. Conspiracy theories give the illusion of control.”

Indeed. Conspiracy theories seem to flourish in times of social difficulties. People want to KNOW, they want to be able to point a finger. But these events are complicated, often a number of factors that have come together. That is difficult to comprehend whereas an interesting story involving nefarious dealings is easier for us to understand and accept. As the article notes, people tend to look for dramatic explanations for dramatic events. We end up concocting some elaborate tale that is more fake than fact.

For all your conspiracies, follow Skeptical Humanities for their “This Week in Conspiracies” blog post. And visit The Conspiracy Guy column.

More: http://www.scotsman.com/scotland-on-sun ... -1-2235551
really?

Re: I Know Why People Et al like CT's

Postby SydneyPSIder » 17 Feb 2013, 13:03

"people et al" ???

I understand why people like CTs when there's so much overwhelming evidence of skullduggery. It certainly does go a long way to explaining what actually happened.

Some of the wackier theories are beyond the pale however. I don't look for illuminati and aliens when all you need are some supposed 'patriotic conservatives' who love power and wealth and want to keep the US at #1 no matter what the cost.
SydneyPSIder

Postby Misha » 17 Feb 2013, 17:31

really? wrote:
Why we buy into conspiracy theories
IT’S what they want you to believe. Swallowing conspiracy theories can actually make you feel safer and help make sense of the world, according to new research.

The research, conducted by Goldsmiths, University of London, examined a number of famous conspiracy theories, including those surrounding the assassination of JFK and the “fake” moon landing, and concluded that coming up with an explanation, however far-fetched, can make people feel more in control of the situation. The findings, which suggest that conspiracy theories have a useful purpose, will be presented this week at the British Psychological Society’s Annual Conference.

Source: The Scotsman

Professor Chris French, of the Anomalistic Psychology Research Unit at Goldsmiths says, “If you put people into circumstances and conditions where they don’t feel like they have any control, then conspiratorial thinking and superstitions seem to increase. Conspiracy theories give the illusion of control.”

Indeed. Conspiracy theories seem to flourish in times of social difficulties. People want to KNOW, they want to be able to point a finger. But these events are complicated, often a number of factors that have come together. That is difficult to comprehend whereas an interesting story involving nefarious dealings is easier for us to understand and accept. As the article notes, people tend to look for dramatic explanations for dramatic events. We end up concocting some elaborate tale that is more fake than fact.

For all your conspiracies, follow Skeptical Humanities for their “This Week in Conspiracies” blog post. And visit The Conspiracy Guy column.

More: http://www.scotsman.com/scotland-on-sun ... -1-2235551

Thanks, Really. I'll give it a read tomorrow.
Misha

Postby Misha » 17 Feb 2013, 17:43

SydneyPSIder wrote:"people et al" ???

I understand why people like CTs when there's so much overwhelming evidence of skullduggery. It certainly does go a long way to explaining what actually happened.

Some of the wackier theories are beyond the pale however. I don't look for illuminati and aliens when all you need are some supposed 'patriotic conservatives' who love power and wealth and want to keep the US at #1 no matter what the cost.

I think Sydney in some respects the whole "keep the US at #1" is not the issue. The argument may be for keeping the global wealth secured regardless of nation states. Yes, the U.S. military is used by corporate power, through Wall Street, which insures that the elites are at the top of the food chain. However, Wall Street is global and not condensable to strictly U.S. interests.
Misha

Return to Conspiracies / Cover Ups