View Active Topics          Latest 100 Topics          View Your Posts          Switch to Mobile

Why Are Some Conspiracy Theories Hard To Research?

Discuss Conspiracies and Cover Ups - e.g. 9/11 Truth, JFK Assassination, New World Order, Roswell, Moon Hoax, Secret Societies, etc. whatever conspiracy floats your boat.

Why Are Some Conspiracy Theories Hard To Research?

Postby NinjaPuppy » 28 Dec 2012, 06:31

So as to not derail the "Moon Hoax" topic, I'd like to explore Syd's commentary:

SydPSI wrote:... there's a few more incriminating vids and photos I'm yet to find and post, this exercise has been extremely interesting, because I'm finding google searches just aren't returning materials I've seen before from following links -- I think it's either stale sites and non-existent SEO work by the site authors from pre-SEO days, or certain parties (NASA, govt, etc) are making strenuous efforts to SEO other sites and bury the expose sites. I'm now tempted from this exercise to start a site of credible evidence as posted here and SEO the hell out of it --

Which then bought forth this suggestion by Arouet:
Arouet wrote:The topic should include how practical would it be for NASA or the US Government to eliminate sites? Is it even possible? No one would believe that the person maintaining the site didn't have backups of any pictures hosted on the site. How simple would it be to publish somewhere else? Seems like a fools erand. If countries like China can't keep a lid on stuff like that, how could the US?

Let's discuss, shall we??? We will start here:
The topic should include how practical would it be for NASA or the US Government to eliminate sites?

I don't know about 'how practical' it would be for a gov't agency to spend time and money doing this. I would think that there should be plenty of rebuttal from employees of various agencies associated with the space program who would be vocal against any complete falsehoods.
Is it even possible?

It's possible to have things pulled off the internet. It depends on the TOS associated with whatever venue we little people use. Unless you own your own servers and have a command of some decent computer skills, you have to live by the rules.

If you're publishing a website that is considered controversial and complaints/violations of the TOS start to filter in, your account is cancelled and your site is removed. You can start all over somewhere else but most TOS have similar wording, so it comes down again and again and again.

No one would believe that the person maintaining the site didn't have backups of any pictures hosted on the site.

Unless you make back ups of your back ups, sh!t happens. Sites crash, computers crash, kids spill orange juice on your stack of CDs, thumb drives get sucked up in the vacuum cleaner, chewed by the dog and the list of ways to lose information goes one. Let's not forget that hot linking is a sure fire way to have pics poof at the discretion of the original owner.

If countries like China can't keep a lid on stuff like that, how could the US?

I don't know about China but AOL does a pretty danged good job of it. :lol:
NinjaPuppy

Re: Why Are Some CTs Hard To Research?

Postby Arouet » 28 Dec 2012, 06:39

To be clear, by possible, I really meant is it really possible to keep the stuff off the net. Shut down one site, another pops up in its place. And then there are jurisdictional questions - lot of offshore servers out there. It's like plugging a hole in a damn, and another one opens up.
Arouet

Postby NinjaPuppy » 28 Dec 2012, 07:38

Arouet wrote:To be clear, by possible, I really meant is it really possible to keep the stuff off the net. Shut down one site, another pops up in its place. And then there are jurisdictional questions - lot of offshore servers out there. It's like plugging a hole in a damn, and another one opens up.

When you put it that way, then yes.

Going back to one of the point in the OP:

I think it's either stale sites and non-existent SEO work by the site authors from pre-SEO days, or certain parties (NASA, govt, etc) are making strenuous efforts to SEO other sites and bury the expose sites.

It's also possible.
NinjaPuppy

Postby Arouet » 28 Dec 2012, 08:08

SEO is open to everyone. We use it at my firm website - in fact, we hired a consultant to help with it. If we're going to consider SEO as being nefarious then we're really reaching.
Arouet

Postby NinjaPuppy » 28 Dec 2012, 08:25

Arouet wrote:SEO is open to everyone. We use it at my firm website - in fact, we hired a consultant to help with it. If we're going to consider SEO as being nefarious then we're really reaching.

Nefarious??? Who said anything about SEO being nefarious? What did I miss?
NinjaPuppy

Postby Arouet » 28 Dec 2012, 08:47

I dunno, syd seems to think the government is using SEO to bury some sites. I didn't bring it up!
Arouet

Postby SydneyPSIder » 28 Dec 2012, 09:13

No, I'm saying SEO would be a good way for NASA/govt/mil/JREF/fanbois to bury hoax claim sites, especially when they're quite old, stale and unmaintained. There's a new wave of internet technology out every couple of years, after all, and it's hard to keep up.

It's legal, it's easy, and it's cheap. It might also be possible to 'influence' google in ways 'serving the national interest' to directly push things down also, which is more nefarious.

For instance, whenever a new 'magical substance' comes out for weight loss or as a super food (acai berries, hoodia, etc), or whatever, and you type '<magical substance> review' into google to suss it out, I've noted you sometimes get up to 10 pages of near-identical 'review' sites or advertising sites with pretty much the same copy on all of them, and no other genuine independent reviews whatsoever. Internet scammers have worked out that if they generate hundreds of fake one page websites and reviews all over forums etc they can drown out any real criticism, and make it look as though there's a rich lode of material and their product is legit and works as they claim it does. True sceptics, of course, will be just as sceptical of claims about new wonder supplements etc as they should be about other dubious claims such as landing on the moon. Anyhow, I don't see why NASA/gov/mil/JREF/fanbois wouldn't have realised this by now and started using such techniques very cheaply to bury opposing voices.

Is everything clear now? good, thank you. wonderful thread idea, by the way, I love what you've done with the curtains too.
SydneyPSIder

Postby Arouet » 28 Dec 2012, 11:12

SydneyPSIder wrote:No, I'm saying SEO would be a good way for NASA/govt/mil/JREF/fanbois to bury hoax claim sites, especially when they're quite old, stale and unmaintained. There's a new wave of internet technology out every couple of years, after all, and it's hard to keep up.

NASA wouldn't need to, if the sites are old, stale and unmaintained, they are not going to be prioritized by google in any event.
Arouet

Postby NinjaPuppy » 28 Dec 2012, 22:59

SydneyPSIder wrote:No, I'm saying SEO would be a good way for NASA/govt/mil/JREF/fanbois to bury hoax claim sites, especially when they're quite old, stale and unmaintained. There's a new wave of internet technology out every couple of years, after all, and it's hard to keep up.

SEO is a constantly evolving algorithm with no published game plan for the masses. Google switches their stuff around every couple of months just to keep people on their toes.

SydneyPSIder wrote:It's legal, it's easy, and it's cheap. It might also be possible to 'influence' google in ways 'serving the national interest' to directly push things down also, which is more nefarious.

It would be easier to believe that Google is the government. I'm just sayin' here. ;) It would also be easier to believe that with the proper tools and some pocket change you can raise your SEO, rather than lower someone elses.

SydneyPSIder wrote:For instance, whenever a new 'magical substance' comes out for weight loss or as a super food (acai berries, hoodia, etc), or whatever, and you type '<magical substance> review' into google to suss it out, I've noted you sometimes get up to 10 pages of near-identical 'review' sites or advertising sites with pretty much the same copy on all of them, and no other genuine independent reviews whatsoever. Internet scammers have worked out that if they generate hundreds of fake one page websites and reviews all over forums etc they can drown out any real criticism, and make it look as though there's a rich lode of material and their product is legit and works as they claim it does.

There's big money to be made on line with many of these 'magical substance' websites. One of the reasons that you will find near-identical reviews is that the original text is all that search engines have to go on and anyone who tries a product and likes it will copy and paste from that original text because the information is scarce at first.

SydneyPSIder wrote:True sceptics, of course, will be just as sceptical of claims about new wonder supplements etc as they should be about other dubious claims such as landing on the moon. Anyhow, I don't see why NASA/gov/mil/JREF/fanbois wouldn't have realised this by now and started using such techniques very cheaply to bury opposing voices.

If they have the time, they certainly can but it's more logical to use old salesman's saying, "Satisfied customers tell 3 people, Unhappy customers tell 15 people and I see that there is now a book that has decided that with the internet, those 15 can be blown out to thousands: http://www.amazon.com/Satisfied-Custome ... 038552272X

SydneyPSIder wrote:Is everything clear now? good, thank you. wonderful thread idea, by the way, I love what you've done with the curtains too.

Thank you and remember, "Pay no attention to the man behind those curtains". :lol:
NinjaPuppy

Re: Why Are Some Conspiracy Theories Hard To Research?

Postby Scepcop » 30 Dec 2012, 04:12

If the government can take down any site it wants, how come it can't take down PirateBay or torrent sites or Wikileaks?
“Devotion to the truth is the hallmark of morality; there is no greater, nobler, more heroic form of devotion than the act of a man who assumes the responsibility of thinking.” - Ayn Rand, Atlas Shrugged
Scepcop
Site Admin

Postby NinjaPuppy » 30 Dec 2012, 07:20

Scepcop wrote:If the government can take down any site it wants, how come it can't take down PirateBay or torrent sites or Wikileaks?

Excellent question.

I'd venture to guess that if that information ever got out the people would really go ballistic. Since the US Constitution demands freedom of speech, they'd be openly violating our inalienable rights.
NinjaPuppy

Postby Arouet » 30 Dec 2012, 07:35

And these sites are not hosted in the US.
Arouet

Postby NinjaPuppy » 30 Dec 2012, 07:41

Arouet wrote:And these sites are not hosted in the US.

That would be a much better reason. ;)
NinjaPuppy

Return to Conspiracies / Cover Ups