View Active Topics          Latest 100 Topics          View Your Posts          Switch to Mobile

An Anatomy of the Motivated Rejection of Science

Discuss Conspiracies and Cover Ups - e.g. 9/11 Truth, JFK Assassination, New World Order, Roswell, Moon Hoax, Secret Societies, etc. whatever conspiracy floats your boat.

Re: An Anatomy of the Motivated Rejection of Science

Postby really? » 06 Oct 2012, 10:42

Misha wrote:Guys, I thought this might be of interest. The statement below comes from a professor of philosophy who I know very well. The professor's doctoral thesis was on Spinoza, by the way. I sent the PDF to him and ask that he comment on it:

""Multiple rebuttals also raise the complexity of possible conspiracist responses (not only must there be a conspiracy to remove thermometers, but there must also be a conspiracy to launch a false “decoy” theory about the absence of a plane hitting the Pentagon on 9/11 in order to detract from the real conspiracy, which was to destroy the Twin Towers, and so on.) Sunstein and Vermeule (2009) note the possibility of addressing the “demand” rather than “supply” of conspiracy theories; that is, rather than change the mind of actual believers, communication should be directed at potential consumers of theories to inoculate them against accepting such theories.

That was from the end of the study. I've never quite figured out how one gets inoculated against thinking, perhaps that's what most vaccines accomplish! I think that it is a weak attempt by a guy writing and living in the middle of nowhere to get some recognition. I think people like him are the problem, looking at the psychology of critical thinking like it is some kind of disease, all the while trumping up how he is the only critical thinker in the room!

Inoculation is not against thinking as you've wonder; it's a desire to have those consumers of such questionable veracity ct's to apply better critical thinking to such CTs instead of letting their prior convictions control how they evaluate evidence.

The only thing I disagree with is the "middle of nowhere" comment. Metaphorically most people who challenge the orthodox are in the "middle of nowhere."
really?

Postby Arouet » 06 Oct 2012, 10:47

SydneyPSIder wrote:
Arouet wrote:Hey Misha - just wanted to say I appreciate your tone while discussing these topics. I'm not sure why people need to get so insulting when they disagree with people.

Maybe some people just don't suffer fools gladly. Is that a weakness or a strength?

Weakness.
Arouet

Postby SydneyPSIder » 06 Oct 2012, 11:18

Arouet wrote:
SydneyPSIder wrote:
Arouet wrote:Hey Misha - just wanted to say I appreciate your tone while discussing these topics. I'm not sure why people need to get so insulting when they disagree with people.

Maybe some people just don't suffer fools gladly. Is that a weakness or a strength?

Weakness.

I see. But you admit that you are acting like a fool therefore?
SydneyPSIder

Postby Arouet » 06 Oct 2012, 11:34

Figured you'd say that. Nice to see you didn't disappoint! The problem is, the people with that policy tend to overvalue their own abilities and intelligence and undervalue the abilities and intelligence of others. They don't really listen to the "fools" and try to understand what they are saying. They are also miserable to be around and tend to be obnoxious and rude. Moreover, I think it makes them miserable. Maybe you get a real kick out of insulting people, but I doubt it actually makes you feel good.

Anyhow, I don't expect this to do anything other than validate for you your chosen tactics...
Arouet

Postby SydneyPSIder » 06 Oct 2012, 12:06

Arouet wrote:Figured you'd say that. Nice to see you didn't disappoint! The problem is, the people with that policy tend to overvalue their own abilities and intelligence and undervalue the abilities and intelligence of others. They don't really listen to the "fools" and try to understand what they are saying. They are also miserable to be around and tend to be obnoxious and rude. Moreover, I think it makes them miserable. Maybe you get a real kick out of insulting people, but I doubt it actually makes you feel good.

Anyhow, I don't expect this to do anything other than validate for you your chosen tactics...

It's actually a satire and copy of the kind of pissweak word games and diversions that you pseudosceps like to play on here in lieu of considering reality. It's a play straight off the PS artist checklist.
SydneyPSIder

Postby SydneyPSIder » 06 Oct 2012, 12:20

NP told you to be nice while she's gone... I'm tellin'...
SydneyPSIder

Previous

Return to Conspiracies / Cover Ups