View Active Topics          Latest 100 Topics          View Your Posts          Switch to Mobile

Characteristics of a Conspiracy Theorist

Discuss Conspiracies and Cover Ups - e.g. 9/11 Truth, JFK Assassination, New World Order, Roswell, Moon Hoax, Secret Societies, etc. whatever conspiracy floats your boat.

Characteristics of a Conspiracy Theorist

Postby really? » 22 Sep 2012, 20:59

Here's a collection of links detailing what characteristics a ct'er may possess and how ct'ers view the world at large .
http://www.scientificamerican.com/artic ... y-director

http://www.urban75.org/info/conspiraloons.html

http://www.examiner.com/article/conspir ... cal-traits

http://vulcanis.wordpress.com/2008/03/1 ... -theories/

It seems likely that conspiratorial beliefs serve a similar psychological function to superstitious, paranormal and, more controversially, religious beliefs, as they help some people to gain a sense of control over an unpredictable world,” French says.
really?
 
Posts: 1009
Joined: 06 Mar 2010, 20:58






Re: Characteristics of a Conspiracy Theorist

Postby SydneyPSIder » 22 Sep 2012, 22:29

lol, that's funny, the same definition could apply to pseudosceptics:

It seems likely that pseudoscepticism serves a similar psychological function to superstitious, paranormal and, more controversially, religious beliefs, as they help some people to gain a sense of control over an unpredictable world


PS those linked sites are crap and written by still more pseudosceptics to confirm their own world view. Death by self-referentialism.
SydneyPSIder
 
Posts: 1124
Joined: 10 Sep 2012, 18:24

Re: Characteristics of a Conspiracy Theorist

Postby Craig Browning » 22 Sep 2012, 22:46

PS those linked sites are crap and written by still more pseudosceptics to confirm their own world view. Death by self-referentialism.

Am I to understand that you buy into all the CTs out there in much the same manner our host (Winston) tends to do?
User avatar
Craig Browning
 
Posts: 1526
Joined: 13 Feb 2010, 05:20
Location: Northampton, MA

Re: Characteristics of a Conspiracy Theorist

Postby SydneyPSIder » 22 Sep 2012, 22:56

Craig Browning wrote:PS those linked sites are crap and written by still more pseudosceptics to confirm their own world view. Death by self-referentialism.

Am I to understand that you buy into all the CTs out there in much the same manner our host (Winston) tends to do?

No, I'm very selective and evidence-based in my choice of CTs... Only the creme de la creme of conspiracies for me...
SydneyPSIder
 
Posts: 1124
Joined: 10 Sep 2012, 18:24

Re: Characteristics of a Conspiracy Theorist

Postby NinjaPuppy » 23 Sep 2012, 07:13

I liked the first article from Scientific American but I used to be a regular subscriber to that mag.

The others are your basic smear tactic crap.
User avatar
NinjaPuppy
 
Posts: 4002
Joined: 28 Jul 2009, 20:44

Re: Characteristics of a Conspiracy Theorist

Postby NinjaPuppy » 23 Sep 2012, 07:15

SydneyPSIder wrote:No, I'm very selective and evidence-based in my choice of CTs... Only the creme de la creme of conspiracies for me...

You tell 'em Syd.
User avatar
NinjaPuppy
 
Posts: 4002
Joined: 28 Jul 2009, 20:44

Re: Characteristics of a Conspiracy Theorist

Postby NinjaPuppy » 23 Sep 2012, 07:18

Personally, I like the occasional CT. It beats the crap out of reading about glass ceilings in "Cosmopolitan".
User avatar
NinjaPuppy
 
Posts: 4002
Joined: 28 Jul 2009, 20:44

Re: Characteristics of a Conspiracy Theorist

Postby really? » 23 Sep 2012, 09:55

NinjaPuppy wrote:I liked the first article from Scientific American but I used to be a regular subscriber to that mag.

The others are your basic smear tactic crap.


In light of Sid and others here clearly demonstrating listed characteristics why would you say these articles speak untruth ? Which is what I take you too mean by crap.
really?
 
Posts: 1009
Joined: 06 Mar 2010, 20:58

Re: Characteristics of a Conspiracy Theorist

Postby really? » 23 Sep 2012, 09:57

Craig Browning wrote:PS those linked sites are crap and written by still more pseudosceptics to confirm their own world view. Death by self-referentialism.

Am I to understand that you buy into all the CTs out there in much the same manner our host (Winston) tends to do?


In light of Sid and others here clearly demonstrating listed characteristics why would you say these articles speak untruth ? Which is what I take you too mean by crap.
really?
 
Posts: 1009
Joined: 06 Mar 2010, 20:58

Re: Characteristics of a Conspiracy Theorist

Postby SydneyPSIder » 23 Sep 2012, 12:08

really? wrote:
Craig Browning wrote:PS those linked sites are crap and written by still more pseudosceptics to confirm their own world view. Death by self-referentialism.

Am I to understand that you buy into all the CTs out there in much the same manner our host (Winston) tends to do?


In light of Sid and others here clearly demonstrating listed characteristics why would you say these articles speak untruth ? Which is what I take you too mean by crap.

Because the 'profiling' is biased and intended mainly to be humorous. They are fabricating a personality type then exaggerating the artifacts of the type. Or smear tactic crap as NP points out more succinctly.

It's a standard logical fallacy: not everyone who follows some conspiracies are necessarily paranoid or prone to illogical thinking, but people who are paranoid and prone to illogical thinking may be drawn to CTs.

Look at it from the other perspective -- some evidence-based 'conspiracies' seem pretty much to be true -- and the pseudosceptics won't accept them because it upsets their comfort zones -- and they could be accused equally of under-researching and being lazy and fearful and going with the herd. Accusations of being 'sheeple' probably apply. Articles on this website encapsulate the 'pseudosceptic personality' perfectly. For instance, I could say all pseudosceptics seem to have long, bushy beards, wear polyester dress shorts or safari suits, long walking socks and sandals, and have a strong overlap with model railway enthusiasts, and I would probably be right.
SydneyPSIder
 
Posts: 1124
Joined: 10 Sep 2012, 18:24

Re: Characteristics of a Conspiracy Theorist

Postby SydneyPSIder » 23 Sep 2012, 12:46

Since nobody asked, this is my current favourite list of 'conspiracies' which are strongly evidence-based:

- any number of 60s political assassinations, which appear to have been the CIA's favourite method of effecting change to make things go their way at the time -- JFK, Bobby Kennedy, Martin Luther King, Malcolm X, and various other political characters around the world. Note the CIA and MI6 interference in Iran in the 50s for instance as a precursor, interference in South America and the middle east, and so on -- it's only a conspiracy until it's been proven beyond a shadow of a doubt, as in those cases. The CIA are known to fund any number of subversive or extremist groups to stir up trouble in countries where they don't like the leadership. If you have a social sciences university background, as I have, then you are aware of the framework of post-colonial and neo-colonial geopolitical arrangements and jockeying for access to valuable resources that goes on out there -- the average undereducated pseudosceptic Joe Schmo chooses not to study any of these things but feels qualified to comment and pooh-pooh anyhow.

- manned moon landing -- I came to this one late, but it is very interesting. On an analysis of the totality of the evidence and probabilities based on the technology of the day, it appears that there is no convincing or unshakeable evidence that man set foot on the moon, and substantial film and technical evidence scattered here and there that they did not, along with many probabilistic problems. A scientist on the evidence can only conclude there is a strong chance they did not. The Jarrah White series and Bart Siebrel movies are very interesting in this regard. I have been convinced by a number of pieces of footage and information, based on my own scientific and engineering training -- footage of the ascender module making impossible acceleration and deceleration adjusting turns while approaching docking like a model on a stick, evidence of construction of giant matte lunar landscapes, other footage which is just plain wrong, flapping flags in the breeze, moon rocks that are petrified wood or from the WA desert, the height you could theoretically jump, the lack of care of space suits and rovers on a potentially deadly surface, deadly radiation from space and the van Allen belts, the likely timeframe to develop the requisite technology to have 6 completely successful landings with nary a hitch (bar one) or a single death, moon landers that were too small to move in and hatches too small to pass through in a space suit, centre of gravity problems steering and landing the LEM, inconsistencies in the astronauts' stories, wrong kinds of rock weathering, vomit comet footage being passed off as mission footage, the blasé nature of astronauts who could be hit by meteors travelling at 20,000 mph or rupture a suit or module at any time if they were actually there, the triumphalist down home hick sort of language they were using, the Russian space race where Russia had many firsts, and just as importantly the very wrong psychology of the 'returned' astronauts in press conferences and in later life when approached on the deception. The mistake of Collins helping out his comrade saying 'he couldn't see any stars on the moon' when he was actually supposed to be in the orbiter in space all along, etc. There is not a single piece of evidence that proves they went that could not be faked by the technology of the time, agreement of participants for patriotic reasons, and the siphoning of large amounts of the Apollo budget to pay people off.

- Oklahoma bombing is extremely suspicious

- 9/11 is extremely suspicious -- odds of a trillion trillion to one against the official story -- many strange features, too many to list at the risk of being accused of suffering 'monomania'. a fairly full alternative achievable credible MO has been worked out.

- 7/7 and 21/7 are extremely suspicious -- odds of a trillion trillion to one against -- same MO as above. Madrid bombings also very suspicious.

- questioning the genuine benefit of many vaccines out there (vs improvements in nutrition and sanitation reducing disease) and the claimed complete lack of harm. there is ample research that shows there are problems, both anecdotal/case study and broader epidemiological studies when done independently and properly, not by vested interests. lazy pseudosceptics don't even both looking for the information, but feel qualified to challenge it on the basis of no research whatsoever, and simply echo authority statements. 'sheeple'? -- you be the judge.

- some stuff around the GFC/banks/housing I won't go into.

- Osama bin Laden death possibly faked. Interesting extrajudicial killing in another sovereign country if not.

- Lady Die, reluctantly...

That's about it. No Roswells or UFOs for me at this time, unless and until good evidence comes forward. No new age stuff, no pretending I somehow know all about 'God' and the spirit levels and the universe and where the aliens come from and illuminati and reptiles. (There are, however, very powerful elites operating who want to keep things going their way.) All good, down to earth, verifiable earthly stuff.

If you think this makes the American empire and administration look like lying, thieving jackals over many decades, then you would be right.

Much of the information has been gained from the internet, in fact the internet has been the principal tool for disseminating this kind of information to most people out there -- the newspapers and investigative journalists only turn up so much.

Now I'll sit here and wait for the MIB to appear at my door, except they will definitely be locals tracing my IP address, not from outer space. Go on, really?, send them...
Last edited by SydneyPSIder on 30 Sep 2012, 13:54, edited 2 times in total.
SydneyPSIder
 
Posts: 1124
Joined: 10 Sep 2012, 18:24

Re: Characteristics of a Conspiracy Theorist

Postby Arouet » 23 Sep 2012, 13:30

We can talk about it in the vaccine thread, but where do you get that doctors say there is a complete lack of harm with vaccines? There certainly can be side effects, sometimes serious in some people.
User avatar
Arouet
 
Posts: 2544
Joined: 07 Aug 2010, 03:07

Re: Characteristics of a Conspiracy Theorist

Postby SydneyPSIder » 23 Sep 2012, 13:46

Arouet wrote:We can talk about it in the vaccine thread, but where do you get that doctors say there is a complete lack of harm with vaccines? There certainly can be side effects, sometimes serious in some people.

Many of them do, at least to patients. What they may say to each other is another story. There may be side effects such as fever for a couple of days which they admit to, but many deny more serious problems, especially cot deaths and autism. In the case of Gardasil, Guillain-Barré disease. A few vaccines list anaphylactic shock as a possible side effect which can be nasty, they probably would have seen that a few times also. There is account after account, including NP's own experience, and a quote from an article published just yesterday, when doctors deny vaccines are causing the problem being described. There is a more sinister money-making and reputation-preserving aspect to this.

Funny that you pick at that one little comment only?
SydneyPSIder
 
Posts: 1124
Joined: 10 Sep 2012, 18:24

Re: Characteristics of a Conspiracy Theorist

Postby Arouet » 23 Sep 2012, 13:52

We'll talk about it in the vaccine thread. As for the others, frankly, conspiracy theories don't hold that much interest for me. I'll read the threads when they crop up, but for the most part I stay out of it.
User avatar
Arouet
 
Posts: 2544
Joined: 07 Aug 2010, 03:07

Re: Characteristics of a Conspiracy Theorist

Postby NinjaPuppy » 23 Sep 2012, 22:37

really? wrote:
Craig Browning wrote:PS those linked sites are crap and written by still more pseudosceptics to confirm their own world view. Death by self-referentialism.

Am I to understand that you buy into all the CTs out there in much the same manner our host (Winston) tends to do?


In light of Sid and others here clearly demonstrating listed characteristics why would you say these articles speak untruth ? Which is what I take you too mean by crap.

Since I called them "crap" too, I'm going to add my $.02 here. The other articles are not as well written as the "Scientific American" article. For comparison sake I'll stick with the http://www.urban75.org/info/conspiraloons.html for a one on one scenario.

urban75 starts off with childish name calling right off the bat. While name calling works well with elementary school crowd, it does not serve much of a purpose when trying to prove an adult point. Of course that is an editors note and not the actual article. As for the written article by Donna Ferentes it does reference a claimed "Wikipedia" list: "Wikipedia: conspiracy theory guide" if you put that header into the Google search, you do not get that actual list. I'd call that misleading or an error. Even if that claimed Wikipedia: conspiracy guide does in fact exist in that exact form, that part of the article is also very well written. The actual article is a parody of sorts and while it may be written on facts, it doesn't have the same quality as the Scientific American article or even the so called "Wikipedia: conspiracy guide" at the bottom.

Getting back to Ms. Ferentes' and her original work of art here. Yes, it's cute but she's sterotyping with tongue in cheek. It may be based on nothing more than her personal experiences with facts thrown in for good measure but you can clearly sense the bias in her work. I would say that it was not written to make any point other than to inflame CTers or to blow off steam from having to deal with them in some capacity.

I certainly would NOT say that these article speak untruth or rather to eliminate a double negative here, they do in fact speak the truth but were not written with the intent to educate but to degrade anyone who may want to entertain any possible area of a CT or an entire CT.
User avatar
NinjaPuppy
 
Posts: 4002
Joined: 28 Jul 2009, 20:44

Next

Return to Conspiracies / Cover Ups

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Baidu [Spider] and 2 guests