View Active Topics          Latest 100 Topics          View Your Posts          Switch to Mobile

Cryptozoology Museum

Discussions about Unexplained Creatures and Cryptozoology. E.g. Bigfoot, The Lochness Monster, The Jersey Devil, etc.

Re: Cryptozoology Museum

Postby ProfWag » 10 Dec 2009, 22:53

NinjaPuppy wrote:
ProfWag wrote:Wellllllll, I'd love to know. Did you commit it?

No. My name is not Eve and my husband's name is not Adam. I don't even like apples unless they're baked in a pie.

;-)
ProfWag

Postby NinjaPuppy » 10 Dec 2009, 23:25

ProfWag wrote:Very true Warrigal. I have no idea what kind of things are out there that we haven't discovered. All I know for certain is that the Crypto Museum said that Bigfoot was "once elusive." That tells me they found one and I've been searching for him for 3 decades and I want to see the real thing!

So rather than write them a letter, why not go up and continue your search and see what they have to offer? Consider it a circus sideshow and you will never be disappointed. Of course all bets are off if the admission fee is higher than you're willing to pay to see something for the sake of entertainment.

They don't call it crypotzoology for nothin'... ya know.
NinjaPuppy

Postby ProfWag » 10 Dec 2009, 23:43

NinjaPuppy wrote:
ProfWag wrote:Very true Warrigal. I have no idea what kind of things are out there that we haven't discovered. All I know for certain is that the Crypto Museum said that Bigfoot was "once elusive." That tells me they found one and I've been searching for him for 3 decades and I want to see the real thing!

So rather than write them a letter, why not go up and continue your search and see what they have to offer? Consider it a circus sideshow and you will never be disappointed. Of course all bets are off if the admission fee is higher than you're willing to pay to see something for the sake of entertainment.

They don't call it crypotzoology for nothin'... ya know.

Oh believe me, if I'm ever in Maine, I'll stop there. I just don't have any plans for Maine in the near future.
ProfWag

Postby ciscop » 11 Dec 2009, 07:29

oooh i think is a great ideafor museaum!!
do you think they have the cottonley (what was it?) fairies pictures ?
or the giant of canterbury (?) ?

is it just a museaum of hoaxes and scams?
or do they present the giant squid as a proof they are for real?
For every person who reads this valuable book there are hundreds of naïve souls who would prefer to have their spines tingled by a sensational but worthless potboiler by some hack journalist of the paranormal. You who now read these sentences join a small but wiser minority. Martin Gaardner (Psychology of the Psychic)
ciscop

Postby NinjaPuppy » 11 Dec 2009, 07:40

ciscop wrote:oooh i think is a great ideafor museaum!!

Funny that you should call it, "just a museum of hoaxes and scams". Where is the 'scam' or what 'hoax' are you talking about?

It's called a Cryptozoology Museum. It has exactly what it claims to have by definition from what I see.

From Wikipedia: Cryptozoology (from Greek κρυπτός, kriptos, "hidden" + zoology; literally, "study of hidden animals") refers to the search for animals which are considered to be legendary or otherwise nonexistent by mainstream biology. This includes looking for living examples of animals which are extinct, such as dinosaurs; animals whose existence lacks physical support but which appear in myths, legends, or are reported, such as Bigfoot and el Chupacabra;[1] and wild animals dramatically outside of their normal geographic ranges, such as phantom cats or "ABC"s (An acronym commonly used by cryptozoologists that stands for Alien Big Cats).

I believe that this is the place that ProfWag is talking about. I would find it hard to believe that there are two crypto museums in Maine. http://www.lorencoleman.com/museum.html
NinjaPuppy

Postby ciscop » 11 Dec 2009, 08:16

NinjaPuppy wrote:
ciscop wrote:oooh i think is a great ideafor museaum!!

Funny that you should call it, "just a museum of hoaxes and scams". Where is the 'scam' or what 'hoax' are you talking about?

It's called a Cryptozoology Museum. It has exactly what it claims to have by definition from what I see.

From Wikipedia: Cryptozoology (from Greek κρυπτός, kriptos, "hidden" + zoology; literally, "study of hidden animals") refers to the search for animals which are considered to be legendary or otherwise nonexistent by mainstream biology. This includes looking for living examples of animals which are extinct, such as dinosaurs; animals whose existence lacks physical support but which appear in myths, legends, or are reported, such as Bigfoot and el Chupacabra;[1] and wild animals dramatically outside of their normal geographic ranges, such as phantom cats or "ABC"s (An acronym commonly used by cryptozoologists that stands for Alien Big Cats).

I believe that this is the place that ProfWag is talking about. I would find it hard to believe that there are two crypto museums in Maine. http://www.lorencoleman.com/museum.html

The cottingley fairies (not sure if they form part of the museaum) was a Scam.. even Arthun Conan Doyle believe in them..

the Giant was a scam... (bible nuts on the USA thought this giant prove that the bible was right since in it, there were giants inhabitating earth back then)

Nessie was a Hoax

Bigfoot was a Hoax

So right there you have 4 famous criptozology figures... and i was just Asking by the way.. i do think is a great idea for a museaum i would love to go there.. i think it would be a great idea for a date actually since it provides to a lot of discussion.
For every person who reads this valuable book there are hundreds of naïve souls who would prefer to have their spines tingled by a sensational but worthless potboiler by some hack journalist of the paranormal. You who now read these sentences join a small but wiser minority. Martin Gaardner (Psychology of the Psychic)
ciscop

Postby ProfWag » 11 Dec 2009, 21:49

NinjaPuppy wrote:

Actually, it is the same but it appears they have updated to a real building where visitors can actually visit!
http://cryptozoologymuseum.com/

Same guy though.
ProfWag

Postby NinjaPuppy » 11 Dec 2009, 22:08

ciscop wrote:So right there you have 4 famous criptozology figures... and i was just Asking by the way.. i do think is a great idea for a museaum i would love to go there.. i think it would be a great idea for a date actually since it provides to a lot of discussion.

I'm pretty amazed at the claims on their website as to what reproductions and items they have for display. It sounds like it is certainly worth the price of admission. Even us believers like to see first hand things like plaster casts claimed to be from Bigfoot to see if we can spot any irregularities such as fingerprints in the plaster, etc.

I suppose that any museum would be a good date, if you're into that kind of thing. Not to mention it would give you an idea if the lady was a believer or skeptic before the relationship went any further. :lol:

I am a sucker for little local museums. I was turned off by the more respectable, big museums when I paid a chunk of change to see an Egyptian exibit (some of the less quality stuff from the King Tut dig) in a major museum to find out every item in there was nothing more than a cheap knock off. Now to me, THAT'S a hoax.

To satisfy you skeptics with 'evidence' about this claim, here's the story. I go and pay BIG bucks to see this exibit. I'm wandering around the many urns and artifacts, enjoying each and every one of them. About 30 mins. into my gawking adventure, I'm standing in a room full of 'ancient' Egyptian pottery. Urns and things used to hold the organs or those mystical herbs and stuff. Some of them were quite large and detailed. I'm checking them out and I notice that there is something 'off' with these exibits. Hmmmmmm.

I walk over to one of the docents and ask if these items are reproductions. She hems and haws a bit and I am ushered off to the side and we are joined by about 3 more museum employees who start to question me about how I knew these things were not real. They insist that there is no way anyone could tell the difference unless of course I am some big archeologist or something. Of course, I am not.

I am however, allergic to mold. Here I am, surrounded by these so called ancient artifacts, checking them out, and I notice that I can still breathe. Hmmmmmm. That was my first red flag. I also notice that there is absolutely NO odor of the usual musty old crapf smell that you find when artifacts are not enclosed in a glass case. Heck, all this stuff together didn't even smell like an old lady's house. I spent the rest of the day there sniffing my way around for the 'real' stuff. They explained that they only had 3 little pottery 'bottles' that were part of the actual dig. They were high up on the wall in a big glass case. So hoaxes can be perpetrated in any museum.
NinjaPuppy

Postby ProfWag » 11 Dec 2009, 23:30

Wow, that's a horribly story! Glad it didn't happen to me! (No offense). I think I would have done something though, like reported it to a local news outlet or something to get people to know they were getting jipped. I love museums and couldn't bare the thought of knowing that I really didn't see the Mona Lisa.
ProfWag

Postby NinjaPuppy » 11 Dec 2009, 23:53

ProfWag wrote:Wow, that's a horribly story! Glad it didn't happen to me! (No offense). I think I would have done something though, like reported it to a local news outlet or something to get people to know they were getting jipped. I love museums and couldn't bare the thought of knowing that I really didn't see the Mona Lisa.

I'm a museum 'ho, so I'm learning that it's obviously ok to 'substitute' the real thing in the name of authenticity. Obviously it's not ok in things of a paranormal nature.

Allow me to explain one other thing I had learned in my travels. Many of 'The Masters' painted multiple pictures of the exact same thing. I doubt that any of us have ever seen the 'best' or 'final' canvas chosen by the original artist as his true masterpiece. It's probably locked up in some basement somewhere on the planet. Meanwhile, we get to gaze at their best rejects.
NinjaPuppy

Postby ProfWag » 12 Dec 2009, 00:41

NinjaPuppy wrote:
ProfWag wrote:Wow, that's a horribly story! Glad it didn't happen to me! (No offense). I think I would have done something though, like reported it to a local news outlet or something to get people to know they were getting jipped. I love museums and couldn't bare the thought of knowing that I really didn't see the Mona Lisa.

I'm a museum 'ho, so I'm learning that it's obviously ok to 'substitute' the real thing in the name of authenticity. Obviously it's not ok in things of a paranormal nature.

Allow me to explain one other thing I had learned in my travels. Many of 'The Masters' painted multiple pictures of the exact same thing. I doubt that any of us have ever seen the 'best' or 'final' canvas chosen by the original artist as his true masterpiece. It's probably locked up in some basement somewhere on the planet. Meanwhile, we get to gaze at their best rejects.

Speaking of museums, there is so much wealth at the Vatican that if they just would sell their art and artifacts, they could end world hunger. I'm not really exagerating that either.
ProfWag

Postby NinjaPuppy » 12 Dec 2009, 01:15

ProfWag wrote:Speaking of museums, there is so much wealth at the Vatican that if they just would sell their art and artifacts, they could end world hunger. I'm not really exagerating that either.

I know. The Catholic head honchos have their own definition for, "Vow of Poverty". I don't see the Pope clipping coupons.
NinjaPuppy

Postby ciscop » 12 Dec 2009, 05:13

NinjaPuppy wrote:
ciscop wrote:So right there you have 4 famous criptozology figures... and i was just Asking by the way.. i do think is a great idea for a museaum i would love to go there.. i think it would be a great idea for a date actually since it provides to a lot of discussion.

I'm pretty amazed at the claims on their website as to what reproductions and items they have for display. It sounds like it is certainly worth the price of admission. Even us believers like to see first hand things like plaster casts claimed to be from Bigfoot to see if we can spot any irregularities such as fingerprints in the plaster, etc.

I suppose that any museum would be a good date, if you're into that kind of thing. Not to mention it would give you an idea if the lady was a believer or skeptic before the relationship went any further. :lol:

I am a sucker for little local museums. I was turned off by the more respectable, big museums when I paid a chunk of change to see an Egyptian exibit (some of the less quality stuff from the King Tut dig) in a major museum to find out every item in there was nothing more than a cheap knock off. Now to me, THAT'S a hoax.

To satisfy you skeptics with 'evidence' about this claim, here's the story. I go and pay BIG bucks to see this exibit. I'm wandering around the many urns and artifacts, enjoying each and every one of them. About 30 mins. into my gawking adventure, I'm standing in a room full of 'ancient' Egyptian pottery. Urns and things used to hold the organs or those mystical herbs and stuff. Some of them were quite large and detailed. I'm checking them out and I notice that there is something 'off' with these exibits. Hmmmmmm.

I walk over to one of the docents and ask if these items are reproductions. She hems and haws a bit and I am ushered off to the side and we are joined by about 3 more museum employees who start to question me about how I knew these things were not real. They insist that there is no way anyone could tell the difference unless of course I am some big archeologist or something. Of course, I am not.

I am however, allergic to mold. Here I am, surrounded by these so called ancient artifacts, checking them out, and I notice that I can still breathe. Hmmmmmm. That was my first red flag. I also notice that there is absolutely NO odor of the usual musty old crapf smell that you find when artifacts are not enclosed in a glass case. Heck, all this stuff together didn't even smell like an old lady's house. I spent the rest of the day there sniffing my way around for the 'real' stuff. They explained that they only had 3 little pottery 'bottles' that were part of the actual dig. They were high up on the wall in a big glass case. So hoaxes can be perpetrated in any museum.

WOW! great story

and yep.. i think museaum´s are great for dating
you walk, talk and discuss

not any museaum nor any exhibit.. i dont like modern art ( abstract expresionism for example)
... it just doesnt do it for me ;)

by the way.. does anybody remember the Marla Olmstead case?
a prodigy that sold paintings in more than 25thousand dollars and it turns out it was his father the one that was doing the paintings?

what it was awesome.. is that in the movie
you see the kid painting by herself and doing a normal looking painting for a toddler.. and they actually managed to sold the paint to an art ¨connoisseur¨
ciscop

Postby NinjaPuppy » 12 Dec 2009, 05:33

You bring up an excellent point ciscop. Art is something that really fits into the 'beauty is in the eye of the beholder' type of thing. Especially modern art. I get nothing out of those squiggles and squares or splotches.

I'd like to know how the so called 'experts' pick this stuff. To me it's almost as if it's a crock of BS and they are trying to impress people with their vast knowledge and taste that doesn't even exist.
NinjaPuppy

Postby ProfWag » 12 Dec 2009, 06:15

NinjaPuppy wrote:
I'd like to know how the so called 'experts' pick this stuff. To me it's almost as if it's a crock of BS and they are trying to impress people with their vast knowledge and taste that doesn't even exist.

Are you talking about astrologers here Ninja? ;-)
ProfWag

PreviousNext

Return to Unexplained Creatures / Cryptozoology