View Active Topics          Latest 100 Topics          View Your Posts          Switch to Mobile

What's all this fuss about mermaids?

Discussions about Unexplained Creatures and Cryptozoology. E.g. Bigfoot, The Lochness Monster, The Jersey Devil, etc.

What's all this fuss about mermaids?

Postby NinjaPuppy » 17 Jul 2012, 03:38

I caught the Discovery Channel program: Mermaids: The Body Found last night and was rather intrigued. Of course once I did a search I also found plenty of claims debunking this program.

http://riverdalepark.patch.com/articles ... -existence
http://content.usatoday.com/communities ... ARqy1IxaCc

I still found it interesting and thought that I'd follow tradition and put up a YouTube video that can spark some conversation.

NinjaPuppy

Re: What's all this fuss about mermaids?

Postby ProfWag » 17 Jul 2012, 20:57

It was in interesting show Ninja, but even Discovery Channel itself in the credits states that it is mostly mythical (though I can't remember the exact words they used.)
ProfWag

Postby NinjaPuppy » 18 Jul 2012, 02:31

ProfWag wrote:It was in interesting show Ninja, but even Discovery Channel itself in the credits states that it is mostly mythical (though I can't remember the exact words they used.)

I had missed the very beginning of the show that night but I had noticed that there were more than a few "IFs" thrown around in the dialog. I also wonder if this is some back handed way to make the sonar testing by the US Government better known. It's one of the reasons that I decided to dig around on the internet before drawing any conclusion.

What I do find interesting is that many different cultures have artist renderings of what we now call Mermaids and that they all have a VERY human like appearance (facial). Not faces like manatees, whales, seals or porpoise. However.....I suppose that a drunken sailor could mistake a walrus for a butt ugly woman. :D
NinjaPuppy

Postby ProfWag » 18 Jul 2012, 22:01

NinjaPuppy wrote: However.....I suppose that a drunken sailor could mistake a walrus for a butt ugly woman. :D

Welllll, I was an airman rather than a sailor so I wouldn't know, but I've mistaken some butt ugly women for runway models in my past... :-)
ProfWag

Postby NinjaPuppy » 19 Jul 2012, 02:21

ProfWag wrote:Welllll, I was an airman rather than a sailor so I wouldn't know, but I've mistaken some butt ugly women for runway models in my past... :-)

You've seen butt ugly women while flying around? Those ain't Mermaids, thems are either birds or angels. ;)
NinjaPuppy

Return to Unexplained Creatures / Cryptozoology